User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My Raycaster Extension review

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Raycaster Extension review

First of all the images and videos:

This are some test i made showing the progresion of customization.
    Test1: https://instagram.com/p/3zXm82gLys/
    Test2: https://instagram.com/p/3107sVAL1f/
    Test3: https://instagram.com/p/34OK2tgLwd/

How looks the final version:

Wall/doors textures 1024x1024 and floor/ceiling and sprites 512x512.

-

Opinion

Features
    ---------------------------------------
    Is a good extension but the lack of configuration, options,etc... make the extension a bit dissapointing and very hard to understand or modify to get the desired results, and more for a noob(Like me ).

1- Actually same Floor and Ceiling tile for all the map :S . Will be great set the floor/ceiling textures like wall/doors around all the map.

2- Doors/wall transparency only when you want to see the exterior. If you try to add transparency in some door or something you will see the exterior.┐?.

3- No Alpha channel! Not for walls/doors/sprites. Only a single color that make very ugly create gas/smoke or defined sprites.

4- Ilumination. Will be good some kind of distance-ilumination. Depending how far/close the wall/door/floor/ceiling/sprites be more light or dark. A simple configuration in the map editor on you can set the level of darkness. For example 0 will be like now and from 1 to 9 will be the number of tiles around the player that fades to black. This will make the game looks more realistic and inmersive.

5- More predefined objects added in the example like at least one enemy moving to the people simple can change the image/animations and set various around the map easily with animations of Walk/attack/death. Also Barrels explosion, an option in the raycaster editor to say if the sprite can explode and put in their "desappearing" properties the explosion animation when a bullet impacts.

Price and Selling
    $3.99 is a good price, but not much people will be willing to pay with this lack of features and without watch what all they can do really. The webpage of the Raycast extension not help much, is very... well check yourself: http://clickstore.clickteam.com/raycaster-object

Adding the previous features and a bit more things the extension can be selled perfectly by $9.99 or more. Also including more good-looking examples, videos, etc... in their store webpage to attract the people interested to catch them. Also some .exe file to download, with that, the possible buyer can play and see what he can make with that and increase the possibilities of selling the product. Also a video-guide of somebody getting the example file included and showing the process to transform in other thing.

Some Questions
    Is the Raycaster extension abandoned or will be updated?

If the creators have free time and more people like me are interested, can we get an update? If they open a KickStarter of something i'm willing to donate . Maybe they can open a Kickstarter/Indiegogo or whatever with a goal price and see if get success.

---

Conclusion
    At least at the moment i not go to develop a game with that, too much time and headache to include all the things and others that actually can't be added or will need a lot of skills that i not have. BTW the practice was fun, i always desired develop a Wolfenstein3D/Doom game and in three days i created something interesting, maybe some day with an extension update i can continue with that.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woah, nice test files. Any chance of releasing them?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also i tried to build my test and the original example with the Wolfenstein tiles, both cases the .exe file runs without the external textures :S . The other example, "The Staff" when compile create the .exe with all the textures and all perfect. I see both .mfa and the expresion to load the textures seems the same, i don't know what happens, but again another fail that will confuse/frustrate the people and wasting time to know what is wrong that finally let it go :S .

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other problem is no Help-file and locked level editor, which is bugged and crashes, and recreating it appeared to be hideous task for both me and and some other devs who went into using Raycaster when it was originally released.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got this, but I'm wondering if iOS, Android, Flash, and HTML5 will come in the future?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, extension even doesn't use HWA to speed up rendering, and wasn't updated since release.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably not, considering how long it has been since it's been updated.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see Fanotherpg's post...

So as to have a reason to keep this post, I'll add something to it:

I think at this point a new object would be the most likely way to get anything like this on Android, iOS, HTML5, etc.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow... I just bought this and no updates? Why is it in the ClickStore if no updates are planned? :/

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made a bunch of demos around this extension back when it first came out. I think this is still the easiest way to make a psudo 3D game in Fusion. The graphics in your examples look way better than what I was playing around with. Though I was mostly focusing on programming more than graphics at the time.

I managed to figure out how to do a simple kind of transparency. By actually having 2 ray casting objects that are in sync with one and other. Having identical maps, with the only differences being that 1 has the walls that are supposed to be transparent removed. I also have a switch demo.

Here is a video with a link to the download of the demo. Sorry if it's a bit blurry, there was no HD option back then.
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/38149234/Discaster.zip

I think it would be good to make a new version of this, so it could be made to run on Android, Flash, iOS ect. Also there are a number of features that would give it a lot more flexibility and should be fairly easy to implement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After look more information about the engine, seems i bought a extension that was released on 2009 and since then no updates... also the last news about Fusion 3 is that not will have 3D. They focusing in 2D but still i not ear nothing about a good Dynamic Lights with easy implementation.

Now i discovered another program like MMF2 called Construct2 more cheaper and all the exporters are inside the program, no need to buy separately and with a very easy way to implement Dynamic Lights , here a tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGmnqd9syeA that works on any platform win, mac, ios... . And here's an example that how works Dynamic Lights on Fusion 2.5 with the Anders example: http://community.clickteam.com/threads/59100-Dynamic-Light-and-Shadow-Engine-4?highlight=dynamic+lights , see the .mfa... a lots of events, conditions, expresion... and only works on Windows! :S

Also actually Construct2 can work with 3D and develop things like this: http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/tiny-tank/27522/ and works with all the platforms like all the plugins.

Really, i developed about 2 years with MMF2/Fusion 2.5 and i don't know how will be Fusion 3 (Construct 3 also will be released next year) but i hope will be a real change. Now i bought Construct2 to see how is really code and how it works compared, but if all is true well i going to move on.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast