User Tag List

Thread: Trouble with detecting keys - Custom 8 direction movement

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trouble with detecting keys - Custom 8 direction movement

I'm currently creating a custom 8 direction movement with acceleration and deceleration.

It's all working fine, except for a weird annoyance. Moving diagonally works most of the time, but on some occasions when pressing two keys at once and letting them go after half a second it will still think that one of the keys is being pressed. It's almost like there is a small amount of input detection lag.

It does the same thing if I use the basic Clickteam 8 direction movement.

I thought it might be my keyboard, but I tested it in The Binding of Isaac Rebirth (has 8 direction movement as well) and there is no issue with this weird input lag and the player continues in the diagonal direction no matter how short the key press combinations are..

Let me know if it's doing the same thing for you in the example below. To get it doing weird things, press either left and up, left and down or right and up or right and down pretty rapidly. You should notice that the deceleration continues diagonally most of the time, but on occasions, will straighten out to a cardinal direction.
    Attached files Attached files

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks odd yet it makes sense, your code is just implementing the last key stroke. As you release the two keys sometimes the user will inadvertently let go of the keys with a split second difference. Sometimes the key strokes are released at exactly the same time and the direction decelerates in the correct direction. What ever key stroke or key strokes are recognised last, it will decelerate in that direction.

My advice if you want to correct it, is you'll probably have to set up a condition that if there are no key strokes registered set the speed to zero (i.e. no gradual deceleration).

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I wonder if there is a way to prevent it from always polling for current keystrokes right after one or more have been released.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe set a variable to a directional value (0 = neutral, 1 through 8 = direction held) and have event conditions that check the value? This way you would be moving the player based on the value, NOT the actual key being pressed. You could also try using flags.