Thread: performance problems on different Windows systems

Clicker Fusion 2.5iOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool performance problems on different Windows systems

Hi guys,

I have just released a game I spent about 2 years developing (on a fairly old system), and I just had a tester report that there is a serious performance problem on his system (much newer and faster). Has anyone had a similar problem? My game is extremely simplistic and uses very few graphics, it even runs great on the Xbox 360 (which has vastly weaker performance than any PC I have tested on)... So I am fairly confident this is not caused by a bug. I suspect it is something specific to the particular Windows system this guy is running.

My system is:

Dell Studio XPS 8100
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650@3.20GHz 3.20GHz
    4.00 GB RAM (3.87 GB usable)
    64-bit OS
    NVidia GeForce 310

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

His system is:

intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U @ 1.80GHz 2.40 GHz
    8 GB of RAM (7.89 GB usable)
    64-bit operating system based processor
    Nvidia GEFORCE 745M graphics chip

Windows 8.1

I really hope there is an answer to this... Thanks for your help everyone!

-Joel Christiansen

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be the processor. Compare the speed of your processor to the speed of his, and you'll see it's nearly half the processor speed. Also, make sure to ask him what anti-virus program/programs he may be using, and whether or not he may be running too many other programs at the same time.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I am aware, Clickteam Fusion does not support multi-core processing, so your game will run on 1 core of the processor. In this case it is likely that as HGF says, it could be due to the processor cores being less powerful than yours, bearing in mind that any executables made with CTF will run on just the one core. Note that the X360 has a 3.2Ghz processor also.

You could try switching the display mode of the application to 'Direct X 9' to ship some of the graphics processing onto the graphics card instead, which should improve things if you are using 'Standard' mode. This is on the properties tab if you select the application itself.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if anyone else experiences this, but having a web browser open while playing MMF games, drastically reduces performance. Makes Windows based games go from perfectly fast/smooth to slow & choppy - even on powerful machines. Get him to close his browser if it's open.

Clicker Fusion 2.5iOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I will pass this on to my friend and post again if we discover where the problem is.