User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flash Lacewing dedicated server- How to start?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2Android Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flash Lacewing dedicated server- How to start?

Hi everyone.

I am in need of a guidence here, I am really confused on how to setup a Lacewing server to use in a flash game.

From where do I start? As far as I know I can use public servers, but I want to have my own server working for me for my flash games. Do I need to build an EXE or something?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't need to do any custom special server-side coding, you can use the Lacewing Server extension in Fusion. For flash, you need a cross domain policy file - there's plenty of examples floating around this forum. The extension has an action to host the cross domain policy file for you. Note that the policy file is hosted on a different (fixed) port, not related to the port the server is running on.
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2Android Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thaks a lot LB.

I am very new to this and still have no experience on the issue. It would help if I had a nice working example to use, so I could start. I will search around to see if I find something.

So let's say I want to use Dizzy shooter game in flash, I would need a flash server running a xml protocol on my local PC? (or dedicated server?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok got this, I built a server running the XML file, however, I build and open the SWF file and it won't connect to the "localhost".

Thanks in advance for the help =]

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The flash policy server is just one part of the puzzle, you have to host the lacewing server too - are you doing that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes.

I am running an example that I found here, it works while in PC mode but not in EXE mode, that same example is hosting a XML file.

My intuition says that when I open as SWF it won't recognize the "localhost", and that it should be directed to some sort of domain. Maybe if I could turn my computer into a "domain" it would work.

Is my assumption right?

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For security reasons, Flash applications are not allowed to connect to localhost, or any other local IP for that matter. You can't "turn your computer into a domain", that's not how the internet works. You can, however, connect to your public IP address.

To find your public IP address, I have a simple tool on my website: http://www.LB-Stuff.com/IP.php
    Note that, depending on your ISP, your IP might not be permanent - it could change without warning.

Note that if you have a modem, router, or any other device between your computer and your connection to your Internet Service Provider, you have to configure it to allow incoming connections and you have to tell it which device (your computer) to send those connections to. This is typically called Port Forwarding. It is a completely different process for each and every device, so I can't help you there. Just note that you need to forward both ports; the lacewing server port and the flash policy server port.

Even after all that, your ISP may still not allow the connection to go through, in which case you won't be able to use your computer as a makeshift host. If that's the case, just use your dedicated hosting provider instead (which is what you will do for the actual release of your game anyway).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot LB, for now I am trying to findo a trial VPS so I can be sure my game will work.

Thanks a lot for the explanation!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I am running the server on it now, I can run the Dizzy tutorial inside the virtual machine but can't direct to it.

The information I have is: VNC Information:173.214.xxx.xx:5901

I set the server exe to run in port 5901, because that's my virtual machine port, (was that a mistake?) At the same time it's running the XML file at port 5902

I direct my game in my PC to connect to server: 173.214.xxx.xx and port 5901. And it doesn't works.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The flash policy server should always be hosted on port 843, as that is the port that Flash tries to look at when checking the flash policy. If you're using the Lacewing Server Extension, it shouldn't even be letting you change the port.

I'm not sure why you're using a virtual machine - that's making things way more complicated than they need to be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast