User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: semi-3D rotation with 2D image

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, looks really great. How long does "not in a hurry" mean?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Hey Schro,

That looks cool man! Can't wait to see the whole picture. I don't know how secret your keeping it, maybe waiting till its fully released, but looks like you can create 3d environments?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great work, Schrodinger!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schrodinger, is... is that a new 3D object?

Is it something else, like maybe something using this?: http://community.clickteam.com/threads/92958-Convex-Quadrilateral-pixel-shader

I can't tell from the video alone.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much guys!
    You give me enthusiasm to pull out last things
    (some line-intercepts math I'm avoiding from about a week... that's a veryveryvery discouraging thing to do!)

Sorry video looks crappy due to my very small experience with screen-recording software,
    actual playing experience is much smoother
    I'm planning doing some much better footage later.

I'm going to open a thread when the thing will be complete and give full details.

Yes, it will allow basic, limited 3D environments/cinematics in Fusion
    and obviously games
    (Wolfenstein: yes
    Doom: almost
    Mario Kart: yes
    Descent: no
    Quake: no )

Extensionless and super user-friendly.
    It's going to have various limitations, and I will go in full detail on that in order to make users fully aware for full consideration.

Close to finish in the sense that I'm trying forcing myself to put a full-stop to this project by the end of this month (and maybe add more features later),
    or I fear won't be able to finish it never

I'm actually talking about this so that now that the stone is thrown, I can delay no more....

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow HGF your investigations are correct

I started doing this with Werbad's Shader some months ago,
    but that had some limitations preventing many very needful things for a (limited) 3D engine....

....then recently appered MuddyMole, that in no time (he must have some sort of magic powers) gave me this killer shader

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice!

By the way, doing a stress-test with the shader, you can have about 1000 objects (test was done with 512 pixel wide and 256 pixel tall objects) and still have it running at 20FPS (as long as you aren't actively creating them, since it lags for a moment whenever you create them as well if you create a lot of them at once), which is at least a half-decent framerate, and for some purposes you may not need objects that large...

Maybe this means we can have PS1-level 3D graphics in CF2.5 games now, with higher texture quality.

Also, going to do a version with 128x128 objects now...

EDIT: Just so you know, at 1000FPS, it can run at 90FPS with 1000 128x128 objects. Now testing at raw 60FPS...

EDIT 2: 2000 objects at 50FPS (started with 60, so I guess that means that testing at 1000FPS shows the absolute fastest speed your game could run at accurately, so the rest of my tests will probably be done at that).

EDIT 3: 3250 objects at ~30FPS. Screenshot included this time (yes it's kinda a mess, each object has randomly-set coordinates and parameters after all):
    QuadDeform stress test.jpg
    Sure, this is without edge-smoothing (alpha channels), but previous tests I've done here have shown that they both run at pretty much the same speed.

EDIT 4: I'd just like to note that this computer isn't anything amazing, and is also running background programs.

EDIT 5: Same results with smoothing. Now, these tests aren't being done with scaling, so now maybe I should test it with scaling added into the mix...

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you for this useful infos HGF!

I did all of my testing till now at 60FPS,
    with this engine I think you won't be able to have more than 300 "faces" at the same time on screen on a mid-range computer
    (I refer to "faces" as single "perspectively deformed" images, can be thought as the different sides of a building)

But since it will handle hiding unneeded "faces" (behind "camera", behind other faces, etc.)
    and I'm going to add some kinda "fogging" thing to make objects appear-disappear on a customly selected distance,
    that could be not a big problem (for simpler games, obviously. No hyperrealistically detailed 3D things!)

i.e. if you're going to make basic 6-faced buildings, that would do for 50 buildings at same time on screen,
    if you want more complex buildings (see the multifaced palace on the island... the one with buggy detached-sides )
    that's going to be less (that's why I was talking of limitations).

So far I create all "faces" at start of frame, and "remove them from processing chain" when needed
    instead of create-destroy them, so the "creation lag" shouldn't be a problem.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And, since a new post has been made between the last update I made and this one, I'll report this in a new post:

With scaling added to the mix, it's reduced to about 2750 objects before it starts reaching 30FPS (and occasionally dropping below it, though with a few less objects it doesn't do that either). Note that it is using "max quality" scaling, and has alpha channels for smoothing, so it may work better with max performance scaling, alpha-channel-free objects.

EDIT: 2850 without smoothing, with lower-quality scaling, and it's also dropping below 30FPS more often than the first test with scaling, so a bit more testing with said test may have given the same result anyways. Not much of a difference.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well,
    the engine must process a lot of things to calculate exact positions/scales/visibility etc. in any given moment.

I've a decent office-desktop computer, but I'd say this is unsuitable for gaming.
    I'm curious about how it will perform on accelerated graphic cards... this may give completely different results.
    I'm going have more testing about this later,
    but aim of the project is simple environments, not full blown 3D.

I won't expect being able to pull out such high numbers as the ones you're testing HGF, sorry!

This is going to be a limited engine for small nice games
    ...or big games with many different "areas"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast