User Tag List

Thread: Just a question, Why does Clickteam make animations larger space-wise

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a question, Why does Clickteam make animations larger space-wise

Wow, just WOW! I am making a game with full-screen stop-motion (Kind of like FNAF 4, but it's not a fan-game so GET THAT CLICKTEAM GUILLOTINE AWAY FROM ME)

And the active running the animation (150-300 frames) decides "This would be a 30 MB GIF, let's add 100 MB to the .MFA!" Another thing about it too is that this is taking 1 GB of RAM to run these animations.

I am not asking for a solution (though that would be cool, as the only idea I have is compression) but I am simply asking for an explanation for why the engine is wanting to make images larger.

PS - Here is a 60 MB GIF, it is around 120 MB according to CTF2.5

http://i.imgur.com/Wyg08bR.gifv

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason is that GIFs only use a limited palette. CF2.5 from my understanding uses its own format, so it therefore takes up space that's probably closer to what it would take up if said GIF was a series of PNG files. As for the 1GB at runtime, same thing, especially since MFA files are compressed and the graphics at runtime probably aren't (or at least not in the same way).

Storing the graphics externally (or using AVI files or something else like that) might cause less memory issues at runtime, if you can find a way to do that.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Your compiled executable (or CCN) would (should) be much smaller, give it a try...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I am aware, Fusion stores and handles its internally stored images as bitmaps. Bitmaps like BMP and GIF are lossless (uncompressed) whereas a PNG or JPEG would be lossy (compressed) and I believe Fusion would convert any image into its own format.

As a quick test:
    43 kB - Empty, freshly saved MFA.
    2.6 MB - Original PNG file (to be imported as a backdrop)
    3.1 MB - The size of the MFA (0.5 MB overhead)
    4.5 MB - The size of the compiled EXE
    4.0 MB - The size of the compiled EXE (with "Compressed at runtime" checked) - (Reduced by 0.5 MB)

Compression in Fusion 2.5 has improved significantly from MMF2, and the runtime can also be compressed when it comes to saving storage space (but this makes some antiviruses go nuts due to the fact it self-extracts)

You can optimise large images by saving the dimensions to the nearest power of 2, such as 128, 256, 512, 1024, etc. As HWA uses a texture size to the next power of 2, so a 1025x510 would use a 2048x512 texture size... wasting quite a bit of memory.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Your compiled executable (or CCN) would (should) be much smaller, give it a try...
    CCN? I've never heard of that, you mean the .EXE file?

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick clarification, lh37 - compressed formats aren't always lossy. JPG (and MP3, for an audio example) is lossy because it involves discarding some unimportant data to get the filesize down, but PNG is lossless because it just stores the data in a more efficient way, not discarding any of it.

CCN is the name for a compiled but not executable Fusion application, it's used in things like the iOS runtime - but yes, if you're compiling for the PC, look at the EXE.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for pointing that out DavidN - I see I muddled my explaination up with audio formats!

Adding to CCN: it's also the format used for a built stand alone sub-application, which could be externally embedded to the application if desired, but it's still the same runtime under the hood.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your dimensions now are 1366x698. Try making it 1024x512.

You can find the following explanation here: http://stuartspixelgames.com/2014/05...r-fusion-game/

"Use images with sizes at the power of 2, eg, 2, 4, 8, 16, etc. The software draws invisible boxes around objects in multiplies of powers of 2 – if the image is 9 pixels, there will be a box 16 pixels, wasting memory"

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, that means that a 1366x698 image becomes 2048x1024, which results in a ridiculous amount of memory being taken up per animation frame (I'd estimate that about twice as much is being taken up).