User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Music won't loop seamlessly on Android devices?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Music won't loop seamlessly on Android devices?

Hi, so no matter what I try I cannot seem to get music to loop seamlessly on my android devices. Everything works perfectly when I test run the application on the PC, but when I export an android build and run it on my tablet or phone the music will not loop seamlessly. There's a small pause between loops, it's probably only like a quarter of a second or something but it's very noticeable that the music is not seamless.

I've tried using different formats (wav, ogg, etc) but it makes no difference, I tried messing around with the 'play from disk' option, but again it doesn't seem to help.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

(The devices I've tested on are the Nexus 9 Tablet and Nexus 4 phone)

Thanks for any help.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have had big triple A commercial games have massive sound problems on various Android devices.
    (Games not made in Fusion) So Android itself is not always the best it seems on sounds.

Can you make an example APK and MFA and have some people do some testing and see what we can come up with?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jeff, thanks for the reply, I've set up a very simple 8 bars of music in a loop for you to check out, it should loop roughly every 16 seconds or so, this doesn't loop seamlessly on my devices, so I'm very interested to know if it's just me or if it works for you guys, cheers man!

APK:
    https://mega.co.nz/#!lk8SxJJb!e-m4OO...sT4Nkxu1rqzFng

MFA:
    https://mega.co.nz/#!d5NSVRwA!xbTDnM...cxrW2OZOrdTJd4

Edit: I'd just like to add that I also tried this out with a much smaller sample (just a 1 bar loop) and that works fine on my android devices, it loops perfectly, so I'm not sure what that means really, but perhaps it's to do with the length of the samples, I'm really not sure...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just tested this on my Nexus 6 (Android 5.1.1) and can confirm the 'gap' in the loop.

I re-built the APK with API 22 (5.1.1) and set the minimum and target to 5.1 as another test... still a silence gap, so it that rules out any compatibility issues.

I was thinking it could be something to do how its coded: time-based vs frame rate. When I add a counter to watch the frame rate, the device fluctuates a lot between 41-59 fps, but it still happens even when it's locked to a butter smooth 30 fps... so it can't be that.

So, as a final test, I extracted the WAV in Fusion and found it was 1.4 MB -- so what if this is a "buffering" issue. I've known large WAV files can cause this with EXEs, but as you've already tried, converting it to OGG (204 kB) didn't make a difference.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot for having a look lh37, yeah, I'm kinda at a loss with it really, I've tried everything I can think of, it just seems it's not possible to get a seamless loop. I mean, I agree with Jeff that Android has been known for having audio limitations, but I have to say I find it almost inconceivable that Android would be incapable of a relatively simple task like looping a sample consistently... I guess all I can do is accept the shortcoming and try to work around the issue the best I can for now, but I'm pretty disappointed about it, releasing a game with with audio that hiccups in this way isn't really going to look great ... Anyway, thanks again for checking it out mate, I really do appreciate you taking the time to do that!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe I'm crazy (or maybe it's my device) but I can't really hear a pause.. certainly no silence, maybe a tiny pop between the loop (I feel like even that might be just my imagination).. but I can't really tell a difference between the windows runtime and the Android version.. (testing on Samsung Galaxy S4)

I know this is a kind of sad workaround.. but seeing as your music file is currently 1.3mb - when converted to .ogg with no real noticeable drop in audio quality (again, maybe just me) it's a much smaller file.. so you could stitch the loop together several times in the actual audio file.. like here the very same loop goes for >2 minutes and the file is 1.3mb.. now the user will only hear the gap once every 2 minutes, which is much less jarring than every 15 seconds.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/00ak1nkg4yu9t9d/Loop.ogg?dl=0

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has happened with my game too. It used to loop fine on the last android OS but the newer one adds a gap.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input and @DaveC, yes I think that's the way I'm gonna have to go for now, I'll just use longer pieces of music in ogg format to keep the size down, it's not ideal, but it seems to be my only real option at the moment.

(Just like to say, I'm new to Fusion and these forums, and it's really encouraging to have such a helpful community, so thanks again to everybody for trying to help me out here)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im having the same problem as you guys, tried every single thing you tried, OGG, Wav, MP3 and no avail.

Im thinking of forcelooping the music, put up a counter that adds up every frame and after that counter reachs a certain number it stops the sample and plays it again, im not sure if drops on framerate would render that solution useless, but I will try it when I get home.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there, I'm just getting used to Fusion and I'm having this same problem and wondered if anyone found a solution?
    If I loop a small Preloaded audio file this loops great in Android. But larger files like BG music is obviously too big to load into RAM so this is then "Playing from disk" I guess because this is the case then when it comes to loop it's loading it again which is what the small delay and gap in the loop is.
    So is this something that's fixable? What's the way round it or is it a bug that needs reporting?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast