User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Music won't loop seamlessly on Android devices?

Clicker The Games Factory 2
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm as baffled as you guys are. I know that OGG is the best format for seamless looped music. Still I'm sure that this is nothing we can fix on our own. I've used FL Studio on my android, and it has no such issues. I think the best way is to report a bug to the android developers them selves.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    no from me , but one of our competitors

Android and .ogg

Discussion in 'Android' started by XXXXXXXX, Feb 25, 2011.

• As far as I can tell unity always compresses audio into mp3s when building for Android - correct? unity states this is done because mp3s decompress more quickly.

We've been doing testing with a project not made using unity and have found that changing all of our audio to .ogg reduced our loading times considerably. Our in house Android developer also tells me that android seems to greatly prefer the ogg file format.

I'm sure that the unity dev team has there reason's for choosing the mp3 format over ogg - I was just hoping someone may be able to explain more thoroughly the reasoning behind it.

and I have the reason to clarify this OGG is a looseless compressor, but again as compressor you need time to decompress, so more quality and bitrate more data inside the file, and of course more time, so if you still think that OGG should play as a WAV or other compressor that is not true, btw I see example where people use incorrect bitrates that take more time, and you see it in the logs, not related to our runtime but to the mediaplayer or soundspool, android have been improving this weak point from start and I can be sure to tell you that it have been improved, the application you are referred it will not play ok in older devices, and btw FL Studio it does have a delay and the lag is also present according the reviews in the playstore btw a yesterday's comment.

about the myth OGG is faster?, answer that only depends on how fast is the decoder, and how you reduce the job to this, using a quality that is good like 3, (for me is the best, enough data that match the sound system in mobiles)
    Regards,

Fernando Vivolo

... new things are coming ...

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That could explain it. I'll try to export a looped OGG file then. See if it plays better. The thing with mp3's is that they always include a bit of silence in the beginning, and in the end. Should OGG behave the same way, then I think we're screwed over. Yet another reason why we need tracker music in Android exports. And soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took a look at the sound I recorded, and it seams that it is a pretty small gap that is being silent. A workaround would be to set every xx:yy stop sound, play sound. Since there are no way to control how much of a sample has been played, there is pretty much nothing else we can do.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.mp3s always have blank space at head and tail

Sorry to bump this old thread but, I bet this issue comes up for many users. I also want to be sure i find this info in the future when i may be searching...

that gap is not a software(CT) or hardware issue(device), rather

encoding to .mp3 puts a small (15-25 ms) gap at the beginning and ending of the file that was encoded.
    if you re-encode an .mp3 file a new "gap" is also encoded, so now both the gaps are twice as long...

you cannot trim the gap off in your digital audio workstation software, because when you re-encode (save) the file it makes a new gap

you can use your DAW to zoom in and easily see the gap at start of your file. Save a .wav, check the (no)gap, encode to .mp3 -close this file and re-open it and check the gap.

I am using the workaround of playing my "loop" on 2 alternating channels, "measuring" the loop's duration, and starting the "other" channel slightly before the currently playing channel completes (-305 gave good results for me.

depending on the sound file and its pupose, perhaps the file ends could be faded in/out (- fade the file in the DAW ) and the timing of the alternating loops could be less critical as they overlap

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2