User Tag List

Thread: Ouya has been officially acquired by Razer

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ouya has been officially acquired by Razer

Well fellow Ouya devs. You might want to look at this if you haven't already.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2015...ya-android-why

I'd like some possible feedback from Clickteam on what it means for the android exporter going forward.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to know if there are plans to support Razer or at least get OUYA-everywhere working.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We need to hear more from developers who are using the OUYA.
    It seems like kinda a dead market. Never hear much interest from Fusion users about it.

From the outside it seems like the OUYA didn't really hit it big in the mainstream.. Maybe it did I don't know.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still think that the open console is the way to go.

M$ has nasty high fees to get their games onto their platform when it's just a stripped down version of windows. Sony is the same way, and their games wind up with glitches off the shelf (IronMan anyone?) Wii and DS-3DS development would be more our speed but Nintendo still has their gold seal standard and high entry fee.

Why not just do what OUYA did? Come up with a console standart using the Android kernel, charge a minimal fee for a "Click Market" for devs to put quality games on, and let the market decide. I can see a FNAF, racing and even a DN4ever style setup for it. Yes, in order to save such a thing, there will have to be some quality control. I wouldn't want to see another "No Brakes Valet" "Just Rain" or "Particle soup" There would have to be extensive testing of each game for a couple weeks by a panel of beta testers before final approval and distribution and profit for the developer.

Sega, Atari and Enix all saw value in an open platform where someone else makes the hardware and hundreds of talented people make the games and put it into one accessible marketplace. I don't see why someone else couldn't make this happen. Video games aren't just for phones, and neither is MMF.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    For a console to be successful it has to get millions of units out there in the hands of consumers.
    Without millions of possible consumers a developer doesn't have much of a chance to turn a profit.

MS wasn't too bad before they killed XNA -- You could get your games on Xbox pretty inexpensively.
    I am still sad they killed it.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouya missed their sweet spot by a few months. Had it released 6 months earlier it would have had a good headstart over Google's official TV solution as well as Amazon's, and Madcatz, and Gamestick, etc. Limiting themselves by not embracing the strength of the google play store and services really worked to their detriment, and they failed to become the face of microgaming. The controller is also pretty bad. In the end, I don't think google is going to push the gaming front of Android TV much and it'll be an Amazon-centric world for supposed micro-consoles. Amazon isn't afraid to throw money around to purchase developers to push their platform and google hasn't shown much interest.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    We need to hear more from developers who are using the OUYA.
    It seems like kinda a dead market. Never hear much interest from Fusion users about it.

From the outside it seems like the OUYA didn't really hit it big in the mainstream.. Maybe it did I don't know.
    Definitely the biggest disappointment in 8 years of game development. I was just curious because they owe me money and it would just take a few sales to get over the threshold. Also, I have one game that I never released. But it seems like Razer isn't that interested in developing the Android TV game platform. Not really sure.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Let's wait and see, according to OUYA console was not important, that was important is to have a method of selling and ads, like amazon does.

but problem here was; the console was not very nicely finished, unreliable controllers, not updated firmware, they stuck in api 16 instead of going above.

but at the end let me check what is different in them and how to use the razercontroller with ouya console, maybe it worth
    Regards,

Fernando Vivolo

... new things are coming ...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Razer has improved on the OUYA by creating the Forge console.

razer-forge-tv-4.0.jpg

It uses the Android platform and Razer has their own store, so why couldn't an exporter be created to build games for this in lieu of the OUYA?