User Tag List

Thread: Why convert a quick backdrop to Active object?

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why convert a quick backdrop to Active object?

I was just reading the Physics manual (http://download.clickteam.com/tutorials/en/quick-physics.pdf) and on page 7 it talks about adding a Quick Backdrop and resizing it to make it the ground. Then you right-click on it (the Quick Backdrop) and Create > Active Object, and delete the Quick Backdrop object. Why not just create and Active Object as the ground in the first place? Why the (seemingly) unnecessary steps?

Also I have read the help documentation and I still don't quite understand the difference between a Quick Backdrop and a Backdrop and when I should use one over the other. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

PS: On this note, I have the Getting Started w CTF 2.5 book, watched most, if not all of the tutorials for CTF 2.5 on youtube and, while helpful, I cannot find anything that explains the "why" of using one object type, movements, etc... over another. In other words, most are just saying "Ok, add this object, make it a _____, and now lets go to the event editor and..... Is there any resource that really goes into the "whys" so a person like me can understand the concepts?

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been a while since I learned the Clickteam way of objects (Klik and Play in 1994, actually D so I can't remember where I learned the differences, but...

Backdrop objects appear as just images, and Quick Backdrops are resizable expanses of plain colour, a gradient or repeating pattern. It sounds like this tutorial is saving time by drawing out the object as a Quick Backdrop, then converting it to an Active so that you can interact with it - it would be equally OK to create an active of the right size and then just fill it with colour or draw it out how you like.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    just to add some basic background:

probably the most important objects you will use are going to be backdrops, quick backdrops and actives

backdrops & quick backdrops are "still" ojects you can't move, neither interact with, save for collisions
    they would mainly serve as backgrounds or obstacles for your actives

actives are moveable objects that you can animate, interact with in the event editor, apply effects.... and doing whatever you can think of

so... why using backdrops, if they're just "depowered" actives?
    (beside quick backdrops repeating motif handiness)
    because they save memory, and especially for bigger graphics, they should be first choice when applicable

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pesto,

Check out ProdigyX's tutorials! He really gets into the guts of "why" things happen. He's always adding tutorials so check in often. I do agree though, a lot of tutorials say what to do but not why they did that or how they approached a certain example. For self learning, I would recommend Nivram's example website. And last, the forum is the key to success!!! Many, many great helpers who lend their time! Good luck!

ProdigyX's Website: http://www.xable.us/index.php

Nivram's Website: http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the replies! I will check out this e links for sure.

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pulled the definitions of each:

Backdrop object.jpgQuick Backdrop Object.jpg

No where does it talk about why one should use one over, or vs. an Active object, etc... The memory issue (mentioned by shrodinger) is a big deal I would think, especially in larger games. These are the things that need to be in the help section, IMO. Not just canned definitions but the "whys"

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Snail! Now that's the kind of stuff we need in the help section (or manual)!!! They should hire you to make a manual