User Tag List

Thread: How reliable is the accelerometer?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How reliable is the accelerometer?

I'm trying to make a gravity game where the gravity changes depending on how you hold your phone, but it's not working very well

If you rotate your phone, it will detect most everything okay, but if you are holding it vertically and you want the pieces to fall down, for some reason the accelerometer will only detect inclinations to left and right

It never detects down unless you change the phone position and then change back, for example, if it's upside down vertically and you flip it to regular vertical

Any idea how to fix this?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah sounds tricky, are you using all the available axis at your disposal? i would definitely do some kind of calibration when the game is first started, and maybe make it work in a way where you display how much you can tilt and make it very limited, so it's easy to control and people hopefully not going nuts flipping their phone around, unless that's the actual purpose of the game? :P
    On my only game that uses this, i noticed on one device it was completely inverted for some reason, so i had to make a manual calibration telling the user to flip one way and then the other to know which way it goes.

(Topple, number 9 on my list of apps =) http://www.gameyey.com/mobile/all)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using the Android options on Frame Properties to map the accelerometer to joystick

I was using "Press Joystick Right" -> "set Gravity to right + set Force to 10"

I tried something different with "Repeat while Joystick pressed Right" and I'm getting better results now