codename - P3D is a little project for a 3d engine in fusion I'm working on since about four months,
P may stay for Perspective, for Projection, for Pseudo-, for Project ...or even Pinhole Camera.
Since I talked about this a few weeks ago, and I said I was about to finish by the end of july,
I tought someone could've been interested in a little update on the progress.
Well... august is already here, and there's still much to do!
Fact is I'm expanding the thing a lot (and thus encountering many complications)
I've thrown in some optics for a better control over vertices positions, and got also some bonuses from this setup,
i.e. now we have focal lenght and zoom power (may be useful for a sniper game? who knows!)
and most of all we got rotations along other axis than camera Z (added camera X axis by now, you can look up/down. I'll probably test Y axis too.)
Here's a really quick video while "flying" over a simple test area, with the background not following by now:
Too bad this screen capture couldn't catch the buttons aligned in the top grey bar,
you would've noticed switching between map/render view, the "resampling" option ticked/unticked, and most of all the multiple camera selector
(you can see the two cameras being switched soon after the map view, in the video).
I'll do better videos in the future.
But you may also see so many things still to fix ()
Oddly, many easy things turned out being complicated, while some complex things turned out being easy!
I'm still struggling to find the best clipping (or no-clipping) method - the process of intersecting polygons with the view pane to remove segments behind the view angle, before they get too close and distorted by proximity.
This is by far the hardest thing ('till now I've spent 2 months doing clipping, 2 months all the rest!)
Clipping gives cleaner results against my other solution, the "backward projection",
but unfortunately, under some circumstances, it can't be applied (quadrilateral should become a pentagon.. no clean way to do this and keep textures consistent)
so I have to go with a somewhat mixed approach.
I did some further testing on performances.
At 60 FPS (like the video above) we can use about 300 "faces" (quadrilaterals)
At 30 FPS we have three times the number of faces, thus about 1000 faces on screen at the same time, without noticeable differences.
But on those numbers there's a starting "loading lag" of about one second.
Tested on an average machine.
For those interested, and missing previous episodes ,
the thing will be really easy to use (drag and drop, add to qualifier, write some values),
extensionless (but not cross platform, since uses Muddymole's superb pixel shader)
thus being fully customizable (it's Fusion!),
and -if results will be overall satisfactory- payment, don't know how much but for sure below $15.
Buildings can already have many more faces automatically joined,
will be moveable (probably) and their faces can be animated (for sure)
a reenginering I've already done will grant advanced control to build "non-linear" geometries, like "skewed" towers,
and many more things being still in working...
I realize I can't make a believable esteem on ending date,
but I'm commited to finish asap, since I've already spent twice the time I thought would have been fine for this project.
...well, to the next episode!