User Tag List

Thread: Shoutcast / Icecast playback? What would be the best way?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shoutcast / Icecast playback? What would be the best way?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had ever tried to make an Icecast/Shoutcast player for Android, and found out the best way to do it?

As far as I know (but please correct me if I'm wrong), there's no native support for streaming from CF2.5's audio stack.

I've been toying a bit with the Web View trying to play it as an HTML5 stream, but have had limited success so far :

- Direct playing of the stream works with Icecast in MP3 format, although not very well (tends to get long to get started, and is not automatic). Kinda works with Icecast AAC+ too but even less stable (sometimes won't start at all)
    - Direct playing of a Shoutcast stream doesn't work (probably because of the ICY 200 OK instead of HTTP/1.0 200)

- Using an HTML5/JS player such as JPlayer, Shoutcast MP3 seems to be working perfectly, but Shoutcast AAC+ doesn't work at all. Couldn't try with Icecast but would guess at least Icecast MP3 works fine. It can't be started automatically either though, but it's less of a problem since the controls can be skinned so it can basically be part of the client's UI, although it won't be Android native unfortunately.

- There are PHP libs that allow to display Shoutcast/Icecast metadata, but I can't think of a way to display it natively under CF2.5. Anyone got an idea?

In short: has anyone already toyed with playing Icecast/Shoutcast stream (sound and metadata) and have you come up with an elegant solution?

Thanks.

AzraŽl.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You can use both Shoutcast/Icecast streams with Android.

It has native support for background audio rendering so your app can be in the background and continue playing. It's been a while since I developed the App for a commercial US radio station but I'll take a look at my HDD's tomorrow and review my old sources, see what I can dig up for you.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Danny. Any help in that matter would be appreciated. I'm really interested in finding a more straightforward way to play Shoutcast/Icecast streams than what I've found so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Danny, have you had a chance to look at this ? I've been fiddling a bit but didn't find any conclusive way to play Shoutcast streams natively on Android with CF2.5.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes, I found my sources! I haven't tested them yet, let me recheck them with the latest APIs and SDK.

Fire me a PM over tomorrow!

Danny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest news : the Android Video object seems to be working great with mp3 Shoutcast, but stops playing as soon as the app is in the background.
    It's kind of working with AAC+ streams (although with many more bugs), with the same problem of no background playback.

The Web View object gives very unreliable results and CF's native sound object doesn't work at all. I have no other idea.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Yes, I found my sources! I haven't tested them yet, let me recheck them with the latest APIs and SDK.

Fire me a PM over tomorrow!

Danny
    Would love to see this built into an extension for Android and iOS. Would happily buy it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here. Perhaps there's even no need of an extension, sadly I haven't heard back from Danny and have found no satisfying solution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to bump this topic from the past... in case something has changed either in Fusion or Android APIs. So far, I have not been able to make any progress. Web View isn't suitable for native playing and Android Video doesn't play in background. Using Web View with a JS player such as jPlayer yields the best results (works OK with Shoutcast/MP3 and kinda works with Shoutcast/AAC+ despite lots of buffer issues), but is not a very pleasant solution as it's far from native and I'd rather have an app that isn't just a browser window with an HTML page.
    Using Fusion's native "sound" object doesn't seem to yield any result at all.

Isn't there some kind of Android equivalent to DirectShow that would allow to play whichever multimedia content Android natively supports?