User Tag List

Thread: is there an easy way to allow a game to send a file back to me?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is there an easy way to allow a game to send a file back to me?

I'm going to have a publicly available demo available soon, and I'd like to give the player the option to send some basic analytics about their playtime (eg. how many times they died, how far they got, etc.).

My game already produces an INI locally that has most of this data in it, and it'd be handy if there was a way that my demo could - with the players' permission - send me that INI file from within the EXE (eg. to an email account, or into a Google Drive folder, or something like that).

Is there a simple way to do this? Though I do have some webspace, I don't really know much about servers or FTP or online stuff like that.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is an e-mail object for Fusion Developer that will work for Windows Exe applications only. I haven't used it, but it seems to be able to send files. However, you might want to simply format the ini's content into plain text when sending the mail.
    While an e-mail solution will possibly work for you, the absolutely best solution for collecting user data is to use a webserver and an SQL database. It is not that hard to learn the basics. Jeff has made a brilliant tutorial on a PHP highscore server which basically teaches you everything you need about setting up a webserver and a database. If you're going to collect and compare user data from thousands of users, that's pretty much the only recommended solution.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 to Popcorn's suggestion of PHP and SQL database, that's the most standardised solution.

-1 to the E-mail object. I don't see this as reliable or easy to automate the results, since it would require a bit of human interaction to view the results. Also, in the highly unlikely event somebody got hold of the e-mail credentials or the server had to change, it could cause more hassle later.

There is a more "Fusion-based" solution -- using Lacewing -- to send the binary file to an always-running Lacewing server. As Popcorn mentions, this may not be too effective if you end up with thousands of INIs, unless you add events to the server EXE to process them as they arrive to whichever output you're looking for (CSV for instance, to import to a spreadsheet later)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, thanks guys. I'm looking through Jeff's tutorial now