Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Custom Alternative to 8 Direction Movement

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for Custom Alternative to 8 Direction Movement

So, eight direction movement and the bounce movement don't seem to be cutting it for me anymore. Too many collision issues and going through walls and the like, as well as the glitch where if you have an Event that changes a movement on something, and that movement has "moving at start" unchecked, it'll move regardless, but also enter into a sort of limbo state where it no longer recognizes collisions or "stop" events.

So I tried making a player and AI controlled Vector movement, and couldn't get that working either. Complicated, and lacked an easy acceleration and deceleration function. So, does anyone have any examples of an eight directional custom movement around? Preferably one that does not use "detector" objects with it.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    this may provide a nice beginning:
    http://community.clickteam.com/threads/62097-8-direction-fastloop-movement-collision-example

pros of fastloop movements: pixel-perfect collisions even at highest speed
    cons: may overstress your system if abused (i.e. applied continuously to many objects)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there Kid_Roleplay,

8 Direction and Boncing Ball movement - the collisions work pixel perfect, it could be something in your events,
    would you be able to post an example of how you are doing the events to have a look?

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the built in bouncing ball collisions and 8 direction movement collisions are awful, no matter what you do they'll always be jittery and sticky, and you'll always have less control over them, no serious game should use them IMO.

There are loads of solutions for custom 8 direction movements, I might be able to upload a few examples later or tomorrow.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the link schrodinger gave is a great way to learn, or you can try the attached:
    Attached files Attached files

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The project I've been working on is beginning to become much too big to upload here. Namely, the two built in movements don't cooperate well when it comes to collisions that aren't static backdrop obstacles. If I were to define an Active Object that's meant to serve as a platform, things get wonky. Sometimes it decides to work for the player, and sometimes not. I've yet to figure out how to get it to work consistently for level layouts, but as for the bouncing ball movement, or AI movement, it's ALWAYS intermittent. Very often, they "collide" themselves so much that they start pushing themselves through all obstacles and end up out of bounds.

I do plan on having a lot of objects at any given time using movements, so that which drains system resources quickly wouldn't be so great.

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I like the simplicity of the one you posted, DaveC. Though the only immediate issue I have with it is that when moving diagonally, you have the combined vertical and horizontal speeds at their maximum, so you're traveling at that diagonal speed faster than the others.

Clicker

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to see how to apply that code to the .mfa file you linked me earlier.

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. Can't get it to work.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast