User Tag List

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocket Mash: A game where you shoot rockets.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export ModuleHTML5 Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice project! Good luck for your project!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eed.jpg

Getting ready for an update. I'm mainly doing a lot of graphical things as you can see by this picture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright this is a big update, I have finally completed the menus of the game. Take a look...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you recall a while ago, I said that "graphics are not final." Currently right now I'm doing quite a lot of graphical updates. Currently I need a lot of feedback on the comparisons, so please comment and criticize.

pioyujt_1.png
    Before

pioyujt_2.png
    After

compare.png
    Before

compare2.png
    After

compare3.jpg
    Before

compare4.jpg
    After

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The changes, while a welcome additions, they kinda look like an odd clash of styles (a super hand-drawn style vs. a super-shaded style), and the shading, while MOSTLY good, is a bit off at times (good example: Look at the right side of comparison 2, and note that the shading on the hair looks different from the shading on the skin, and note that it generally doesn't look as good as the shading on the left side (especially on the hair where the shading appears to get abruptly cut off)). I recommend that you do a few things:

1. Slightly improve the shape of things (e.g. make the player character (I assume that's what comparison 2 is?) have a more consistent-looking chin (e.g. make both sides about the same shape, instead of having it be as non-symmetrical as it is)).

2. Add more shading to things that lack it (e.g. the spaceship/plane/whatever that is).

3. Make the shading a bit more, well, cartoony (e.g. have the shading be LESS smooth) on just about everything (the left half of comparison 2's shading, for example, is about what I'd expect for the shading to look like on everything).

4. Consider re-doing your graphics in Inkscape, and making new ones in it as well (I did this with War for Robovania, and I think it was worth the effort, though as I'm about to point out it may not be as much effort as you may expect...). You clearly have graphical talent (especially when it comes to a hand-drawn style), but CF2.5's graphics editor doesn't seem to compliment your style very well (it quite honestly looks a tad bit like MS-paint in this game, unlike platformer a game where it looked more hand-drawn). If you've already tried inkscape, and didn't like it, well, that's fine, just something to consider giving a try. As an added bonus, it may actually make making graphics a faster and easier process than before, instead of a harder and longer one (though animations will probably have to be done a bit differently (it lacks official animation support, though you could use a different program for that as well...), using a different image file for each frame (just use "save as" on the first frame, and then edit that for the second frame, and so on and so forth), though I think overall, with the way you've done animations before, it may actually work out better for you).

Well, that's my feedback on the graphics (I may have missed a thing or two, but I think I got all the major things down). However, do note that, while this may seem a bit negative, I do rather like your art style, as I may have already indicated in the past (and possibly also in this post). Also note that, from what I've seen of the game footage and menu footage, it DOES look like it will be a very fun game either way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey! Thanks for replying.

Right not I need as much criticism as possible so thanks for taking the time to reply.

Alright time to reply to the points

1. I guess the best way to put it is how you said it in 4. Pretty much it's impossible to draw anything straight hand drawn. Pretty valid statement there.

2. Yep, especially in the outlines.

3. I guess I might need to do it as this is obviously not... well... this

4. I guess the main point in the end is cost. This game literally has the budget of a twinkie, literally zero (unless you count Fusion 2.5, but I bought that beforehand.) I mean Inkscape is OK, but it's not very hand drawn friendly. Most of the programs that are good are very costly. Attachment 18130

Oh well, maybe I'll open up a kickstarter next time. Who knows what's next!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3. Hahaha. That's a pretty silly way of putting it!

4. Quite aware of the budget you're on. CF2.5 was basically the main thing that was purchased for the development of my games as well, so I know how hard it can be to find good programs to use

Inkscape has pencil tools and such that basically let you make things look entirely hand-drawn, but a bit smoother than things like CF2.5. Have you tried using those, or were you trying the shape tools? It also has smoothing properties for those tools, which you can adjust to make your shapes smoother (or less smooth) as desired.

Also, one of the attachments doesn't seem to be working. It's possible that it would prove your point with Inkscape not being the way to go, but I can't tell, because, well, it doesn't work.

Also, if you want, maybe I could make some more hand-drawn looking things with it to show you what I'm talking about with it being able to do it (maybe even record a video of me using it, to show you the basics)?

Lastly, there's also GIMP, another free program that may compliment your style fairly well... though I personally think Inkscape would be better for it (but that may just be me)... If you can figure out how to use Inkscape for that style, that is, because admittedly, easy as Inkscape is to use (at least in comparison to some other programs I've used), there are a few parts that take a bit of figuring out and a few parts that take some getting used to, some of which may help with replicating your art style in it better...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3. Thx
    4. I'll be sure to check out that program. Thanks!

5 (oooo... a bonus). Another video!

If you look closely, there's some more graphical differences.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4. You're welcome!
    5. So... looks like we'll gain the ability to launch two missiles at once, eh? That could be a fun ability. I'm guessing the level is basically just a testing ground for now, based on how small it seems to be so far?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5. The main idea at the moment is that you can obtain upgrades via levels. Every other level you might obtain a scientist who unlocks an upgrade for you. Although, I'm not gonna explain what kinds of upgrades you can obtain. I will tell you that you can't upgrade how many rockets you can shoot (mainly cause it would lag the computer). Please keep in mind this game is kinda improvised over time so things can change a lot over time.

FOR EVERYONE: If you have any questions please ask, I'm very open to criticism and commenting.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast