User Tag List

Thread: Accelerometer - making a Sky Map

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Accelerometer - making a Sky Map

Familiar with the app Sky Map? It shows you a map of the stars and planets you're facing towards with your device. You look around with it, and the star map moves with you. It's really neat. A simplified augmented reality principle.

And it gave me a neat idea for a simple game I wanted to make with exactly this kind of mechanic. I know how to use the Accelerometer to move around objects, but just can't figure out how to make that Sky Map gimmick. I have a very big space-picture. At most, I can tilt the screen to move the picture around a little, but very slowly and it completely lacks the feeling of actually looking around you.

I have the impression that this should be extremely simple, perhaps even simpler than tilting to move around an object.. but I can't figure it out.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have an idea? Maybe the accelerometer is not even what I'm supposed to work with..

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looking for a solution like this too...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MaciOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most likely main tracking is done with magnetic field detector, possibly aided with some gyro (if available) or accelerometer adjustments. My old crappy phone that cost less than 80€ could track 3d magnetic field direction quite well and I suspect most phones can do this as well. This would make magnetic detection accurate and available enough to implement in this sort of app. Gyros would be good too (I guess), but I think only high end phones tend to have them. Of course since sky is moving and we are not all in the same fixed position, you would need way to get time and GPS coordinates (or rough location) for app to know what stars are in the sky when viewed at that location at that particular time.

If you have the app, you could try messing it with a magnet to see if my guess was right.

Clicker Install Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please do not use magnets near your phone. Or you'll own a paperweight (and in case battery was poorly made, it can explode in your face).