User Tag List

Thread: Graphics unclear when moving too fast - tips?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2HTML5 Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Graphics unclear when moving too fast - tips?

Hey!
    I am making a "Flappy bird" kind of game (its a game where the player is always moving and have to jump over obstacles spawning from the right and moving towards left). The player is never moving horizontally, the obstacles are.
    Im having some small issues where the graphics being very unclear when they move. Some of my graphics are balloons that affects the player somehow. Here is an example:

(in my project, this is 16 PNG images, and not a gif)

Now to the problem.. The movement speed of objects are between 2 and 20 pixels. As the movement increases, its getting very hard to see what kind of balloons you hit. The balloon above is easy to recognize because its the only black one, but I have 4 different blue balloons. They have 4 different icons (instead of the skull) and a different text bellow. At some point the text is impossible to read, but later the icon is totally unrecognizable aswell.

Does anyone know any tips for having a smoother movement?? Any settings I can turn on/off?? Any adjustments I can do to my graphics?? Or is it impossible to avoid?? Would it help with a better screen??

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the frame-rate is smooth, then your only options are?

1) Don't let them move so fast
    2) Make them more distinguishable shapes, colors and icons from each other... maybe sizes too. <<< This is my suggestion
    3) Animate them very differently so their animation tells the player which they are.

best of luck.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're moving something at 20 pixels per frame... and say your window is 1200 pixels long.. at 60 frames per second that would only take 1 second for the object to get from one side to the other.. that is really fast.

I would recommend different colour balloons.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrashMonkey View Post
    1) Don't let them move so fast
    2) Make them more distinguishable shapes, colors and icons from each other... maybe sizes too. <<< This is my suggestion
    3) Animate them very differently so their animation tells the player which they are.
    Agree with all of these.

Also:

-increase the framerate of your application (default I think is 50, but you should be able to at least do 60).

-fast-moving text is rarely a good idea. The human brain simply isn't wired to be comfortable with that. You should probably rethink your design. Try simple symbols instead of words.

-is it a mobile game. If so, are you testing it on mobile yet? what seems crazy fast on a monitor might be ok on a phone screen

-use EaseIn/EaseOut movements, rather than linear movements, as they are gentler on the eyes (this widget might help: )

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2HTML5 Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all replies, I think redesign to focus on colors is the way to go for me.

And thanks for the widget tip Volnaiskra! Im not sure if I need it for my graphic trouble, but it certainly looks cool I should take some time to look at all these extra features that are around

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to know exactly what your problem is without seeing it in action, but movements that have easing (ie. acceleration/decceleration) are usually easier to follow with the eye. So it may help a little bit.