User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Calculating distance: Adv Direction Object vs. expression

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am finding that my noticeable slowdown (from 60fps to 30fps) happens when I spawn "bullets" that are doing distance checks. The bullet count ends up being around 45 active objects, but only on my iphone5/ipad2. PC has no problem (as expected). I can't even fathom needing 18,000 objects. @.@

I brought up this topic originally because I seem to always run across posts describing how some extensions have optimized ways of doing calculations over the raw equation method of expressions. But in this case, even an extreme example isn't proving to be much different, so I will probably just remove the extension and do it manually. I always try to avoid additional extensions anyway. :P

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as an aside, the actives in that screenshot were all placed "randomly". It's interesting how a clear pattern is visible. I guess true randomness is as elusive today as it ever was.
    Change the seed and the pattern is gone. This is how it works in Fusion. Allows you to create a complete random set of events and on replay it will all happen exactly as before. Wich is a nice feature tbh.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think extreme examples are often the best ways to get answers. If there was an inefficiency with one of the methods, it would have been multiplied 18000 times, and become more easily discernible.

60fps to 30fps sounds like a vsync issue btw.

@Vaxx: good to know about the seed thing.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, the fps stays locked to 60fps the rest of the time. it is only when spawning the bullets that the drop occurs, then the fps jumps back to 60 when the bullets are offscreen.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hugeness of that drop is unlikely to be caused by your bullets but by vsync.

If you remove vsync, it'll probably be more like, say, 60fps--->54fps. Or even perhaps 60fps---->59 fps.

On PC, vsync usually locks the framerate to multiples of 30. Most game engines employ triple buffering, which counteracts this. Nvidia also has adaptive vsync, which turns vsync off when the framerate dips below 60,to avoid it plummeting to 30fps.

I think fusion uses double buffering or triple buffering, but it doesn't appear to always work.

I don't know how vsync works on mobile though.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It only happens so far on my iphone5/ipad, not PC. But I will try turning vsync off and see if it improves anything.

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator ProUnicode Add-on

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Extension should be faster it's obvious due to the construction of runtime.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vsync was already off. But this last build I did seems to not reproduce the frame drop. Gotta love the mysterious tendencies of the exporters. :P

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's possible that vsync might be on by default on iphones. I've never seen seen screen tearing on them (which is what vsync is designed to prevent).

Vsync often confuses me. Sometimes it's set by the game, sometimes by the graphics driver, sometimes both...with varying results.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a built in distance formula in Fusion now, no extensions needed. Just type Distance (x, y). I would think it is marginally faster than the equation because it's not using the expression editor to perform the function.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast