User Tag List

Thread: Any issues with swapping an exe in Program Files?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any issues with swapping an exe in Program Files?

I'm thinking a simple update routine for an application I'm making could be to download a newer version of the exe to the "C:\Program Files\My Program\My Program.exe". I'll have a secondary program do the exe swap automatically. My program already requires admin rights.

Does anyone foresee an issue with this? There will be shortcuts pointing to it, but the exe will have the same name so that shouldn't be an issue.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There shouldn't be issues if you implement it correctly. I suggest you use the AppData folder and remove admin rights if possible.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure that all instances of the program is closed first, since there'd be issues trying to copy a new EXE while the old one is still in use.

Bare in mind that if you have standard users using your program, admin rights would prevent them from using the updated program.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to use the "Shared Data" object to communicate between the updater program and the main program.
    Remember to reset the shared data when the updater program ends, since the data is still stored in memory after your program is closed.

To write to the Programs files folder, I think you need UAC admin rights, so you select "As administrator" under "Execution level" in the Windows tab for Application Properties for the updater program. This will always run the program as administartor but the user have to accept it before the program opens.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any issues with swapping an exe in Program Files?

Quote Originally Posted by Decal View Post
    I like to use the "Shared Data" object to communicate between the updater program and the main program.
    Remember to reset the shared data when the updater program ends, since the data is still stored in memory after your program is closed.

To write to the Programs files folder, I think you need UAC admin rights, so you select "As administrator" under "Execution level" in the Windows tab for Application Properties for the updater program. This will always run the program as administartor but the user have to accept it before the program opens.
    What do you use the shares data object for with this process? The way I was thinking of doing it would work without it but maybe my idea isn't the best.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the "Shared Data" object to tell the main program to close it self.
    I also do a check, if the user does try to open it while the updater app is open, it will close it.

For example:

(Main Application)
    Global Events:
    If "Shared Data" value 0 is 1
    End Application.

(Updater)
    Start of frame - Set Shared Data value 0 to 1