User Tag List

Thread: Suggestion - Import Tilesheet as Backdrops

Clicker Fusion 2.5SWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Suggestion - Import Tilesheet as Backdrops

I have a suggestion after pulling my hair out dealing with tile sheets from paid sources such as itch.io in Fusion 2.5. I've even tried to build myself a tool to slice sheets myself using the surface object, though the current state of my tool is too buggy to release or even use right now. (If I ever wrangle the tool into usable order, I'll probably share it to itch.io or some such, but it's still silly to need such a tool in the first place when other engines, including heavy competition for Fusion, support and understand tileset sheets out of the box.)

Can we have an option/tool in Fusion for importing a tile sheet as a set of backdrop objects?

Basically, I want to have something that combines the "dragging multiple png files to import the objects into fusion" feature, and the active object editors "import frames from a sprite sheet". So it would act like follows:

1. User selects to import a tile sheet. This could be asked on drag and drop import, or a special right click option, or even buried in the frame editor menus if you want.
    2. Select the png file to bring in.
    3. Interface for "frames" comes up like when importing an animation, input the width and height of the tiles and Fusion will slice the imported png into images for you.
    4. Possibly a prompt for asking if the user wants actives, backdrops, or quick backdrops as the result. (The other options could be useful depending on what the user wants the tool for.)
    5. Add an option to Spread out the "imported objects" into a grid, with width and height specified. Or with the original tile sheet calculated amount of tiles.
    6. Fusion spits out all the new objects just like when importing a series of images in the current build. It will also arrange the objects as specified, instead of stacking them all at the same spot in the frame.

Having jumped from tool to tool, it's very annoying how behind Fusion is when it comes to using tile sheets. If the editor could do this, a lot more tile sheets could be used without needing to code our own entire tile display engines. After all, coding our own tile scrolling engine and storing all the levels out in external files really defeats the whole purpose of having a frame editor in the first place.

If money is the problem, I'd even pay a few bucks for DLC that does this in editor. It's really become a problem for me as time goes on, and is often the main reason I drop Fusion in favor of other engines. Please consider it!

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Suggestion that could work:

1. Create an active object, edit its animations, import the tilesheet, select the "spritesheet" mode and "as animation" to import all images into the current direction.
    2. Select "Export" / as numbered files to export all images into separated graphic files.
    3. Select all the files in a file explorer and drop them to the frame editor, choose "Create Backdrop" object, to create a backdrop object for each image file.

Clicker Fusion 2.5SWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Ah, that almost worked. Really close now!

Certainly faster then what I was doing before. Saves hours, so thanks for reminding me of that export function!

The tile set in question has some decorative or cornering tiles, these appear to have gotten cropped in the export process. Now they don't snap to grid properly since the image was reduced from the 16x16 size.

Normally this would be a good thing, as it means the images save memory. But it makes laying out such tiles rather annoying in practice.

In this particular case, most of the tiles for a suspension bridge and the bottoms of some floating island chunks got reset to small sizes such as 4x16 high due to being literally just the rope/bottom section. I can manually place these of course using the arrow key controls to nudge them after placement. It gets old fast though.

Is there a grid offset we can apply to a frame object when snap to grid is on?

If not, perhaps consider adding one for Fusion 3? Would be great to tell the frame editor "snap this object 3 extra pixels down below the real grid position" in this case. The data wouldn't even need to compile to the executable, just be for the Fusion editor to use for snap to grid offsets when building levels in this style.

I suppose another approach would be to simply redo the backdrops in question to resize them back "on grid". However, that would create a lot of empty pixel data, which I recall is something we should be avoiding for memory reasons.