User Tag List

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Rising Legends - Beat'em Up / Hack 'n Slash

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robeez: I got to try your game at GDC. I am not sure if you have improved the game much since then, but I had some critical feedback for you. Take it or leave it...

1. The art is top notch, especially if you haven't been making games for very long.
    2. The basic actions in the game are a bit bland. By the middle of the first area, I was pretty bored with the few options I had to beat up my enemies. I would suggest really playing a lot of beatemups and seeing how they give the player more options than the basic punch combo and jump kick. I know the "old classics" got away with that, but 20 years of evolution have improved the genre and increased player expectations.
    3. Enemy AI is decent. You have the basics down. But you need more variety in what enemies can do to the player. You need to make sure each new enemy type has a unique role when they are onscreen. Being able to make interesting situations by mixing and matching enemies is the bread and butter of the genre.
    4. The main player attack animations don't feel like they really connect. It just feels like the player is waving a laser in front of them and the enemies nearby appear to be hit in the stomach. There is no feeling that the player is actually making contact. A huge fix for this would be to get good hit sounds. But one thing I was told when working at Capcom (by old school beatemup designers) was that it is more important to get the enemy reactions right. Player action is secondary to enemy reaction when making you feel the impact of a hit.

I hope this doesn't discourage you, but helps you improve your game. Good luck!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback mobichan! It was so silent around GDC about what games were being made available and what people's thoughts were, that I thought my game was not made available. Glad to hear it was!

Currently, I am testing a couple of different interactables for the players to play around with. Each stage is also bringing in something new, not just as enemies, but also different mechanics. So each stage has it's own flavor. I wish I could share this with you right now, but I want to hold on until I am really happy to share the result.

The first stage (that was playable) is designed as an introductory stage. Enemies here are designed around the idea to teach the player (and get used to) the basics of the game (blocking, jumping, sliding etc). Other stages introduce new enemies that play very different from the other ones and bring in new situations and thought processes for the player. There are enemies that affect an area on the playing field, other enemies will be zoning, blocking and counter-attacking. Although, current test results have shown players are struggling against the enemies featured on the first stage.

I definitely agree on improving visual effects and impact when attacking enemies. There will also be voice effects added to the game!

It's quite a big project to work on alone, I do hire people now and then to help me out visually and with sound. There is still a lot of work to do, but I am really happy with current progress. As I said before, I would love to show what more I have got in store for the game, but I have to wait until I satisfied with the result.

Thanks for your valuable feedback, I really do appreciate it!
    I hope you enjoyed the early demo of the game!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everyone,

is anyone experienced with online play made within Clickteam Fusion?
    I've been looking into it and have mainly been wondering if this is a lot of work or difficult to implement.
    Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand it's a lot tougher to add online features when a game wasn't planned for them at the onset, Robeez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That makes sense since it may be double work. May do some experimentations and see how I can approach this.

This is mainly because a lot of consumers who bought Mother Russia Bleeds (a different beat 'em up game) were dissapointed with the lack of online multiplayer due to the inability to play with friends from other countries.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally don´t know of one single commercially known Fusion game that offers real multiplayer functions. There´s lacewing but I think it´s more suitable for turn based games. I love the side scrolling beat ´em ups, but they really depend on accuracy. Also I´ve heard quite often that trying to implement online multiplayer at launch is normally out of scope for indies in case of costs, time & quality assurance. Mother Russia Bleeds surely had a nice dev budget, and even they didn´t do it (actually a lot of Devolver games stay in local Co-op only, probably for good reason). I think the worst thing that could happen is promising something and then failing to deliver, especially in case of multiplayer functions.

Rising Legends looks really good, I especially like that the collision detection seems to be forgiving in favor of the player. I played some indie beat 'em ups in the last years and an unnecessary accuracy on the Y-axis was often quite annoying!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure there's a cost-effective and reliable solution, at least, on Windows.
    Lacewing is strong, flexible and easy to use, for real-time multiplayer could be ok,
    but you (realistically) need a reliable server, and having one good enough is expensive,
    plus you'd have to prepare a good setup, and mantain the service (likely not that much to do, but would need keeping an eye).
    It could be ok if multiplayer is only allowed on LAN, so the player machine would be the server as well.

Android and iOS runtimes can take advantage of GPG Services and Gamecenter,
    delivering multiplayer through solid and well-known services,
    not sure indeed if any commercially known Fusion game for Windows has ever featured a good online multiplayer experience.

As for implementing, better thinking it from start, but if the game is not that dramatically complex, it could be implemented even in a later stage.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that Fusion is probably not the best place to be trying out multiplayer for an action game like this. Multiplayer (from what my serious game coder friends tell me) is a nightmare to handle properly. And that is with netcode you have total control over. My next game is also a beat'em up, but I decided to make it more of a single player experience, mostly because having couch co-op would get people wanting online co-op. And the headaches associated with that are just too much for me to care tbh. If Fusion 3 has an out of the box, simple solution where you can send and receive packets of data in a loss-free way, I would consider implementing it. But with F2.5, it is probably something you should pass on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's some solid feedback guys, thanks.

It's probably best to avoid it, sadly. Although I am confident that the way I am building the game has plenty to offer both for single player as well as couch multiplayer so I shouldn't worry too much about it. Can't deny that Mother Russia Bleeds reviews about online multiplayer have risen some concerns, though.

Much appreciated about the fast replies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everyone, I'd like to share the cover art for Rising Legends.

Artwork by: http://sergiykrykun.deviantart.com/

To provide some sort of an update; the progress is going well, although I am limited in what I can provide visually. While I fully design every aspect of the game (both gameplay and environments/characters etc), I am not the pixel artist myself. This costs money, obviously. I managed to provide a great deal from my own pocket. There is only a reasonably small stretch to go till completion. Everything is basically ready to be filled as they are functioning properly, apart from some polishing. For this reason I am planning to go for a Kickstarter. Once launched on Kickstarter there will be a demo available for you to try. I am currently planning and working things out properly so everything will go as smooth as possible. There are really cool things featured in the game that are completely unique to a lot of other games which will bring this out in the spotlight.

Anyway, hope I informed you well and if you have any tips and/or suggestions feel free to share them!

Hope you guys like the cover art!
    Images attachées Images attachées

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast