User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 100 times bigger file size?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is ogg compression now working with the iOS Export Module in F2.5 Build 288.2?

My Android app is 28MB and the same app exported to iOS is 91MB which makes me think that ogg compression doesn't work in the iOS exporter. I need to add a lot more audio to my project and I want to keep the app size below 100MB, which I can do with Android but I'm practically up to the limit in iOS.

Is there anything I can do to make the iOS app size about the same as the Android app?

I checked that simflares feature request was closed 6 months ago, and Yves reported that OGG is now supported in build 287.3 and I remember reporting on the forum that my iOS app file sizes had dramatically decreased after trying out that build. However, having OGG support in that build unfortunately incurred long loading times. In my app there was a very long 20 second pause before the audio started.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there anything I can do to make the iOS app size about the same as the Android app?
    It's not ideal, but I've lowered the quality of the wav files to 8bit 22kHz. This has stopped the iOS exporter from converting the ogg files to 16bit 44khz wav files, as no conversion takes place.

I've got my app size down to 41.6MB now and I could make the app even smaller if I made the audio mono, but I didn't want to do that.

MP3s don't work properly for me as I'm using channel position to trigger events and it all goes wrong with MP3s.

It would be really good if there was a way of using a compressed audio format that works properly with iOS like m4a or something.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah not sure if this works properly?
    How do we check the final size? Exported xcode project from Fusion is around 500mb for me. Not sure if this includes something I'm not aware of and it's supposed to be that much?

I think on Android my game is around 50mb.

I'm using .ogg files in my game only.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you are right - it seems that OGG files are converted into Wave format.
    Is full OGG support dropped at the moment, due to changes in iOS or something?
    I couldn't find any info about this in the relevant changelogs. Can someone shed some light on the subject, please?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Wodjanoi and J3sseM, I'm glad you noticed this too. I hope the problem for audio compression for iOS can be solved. Especially if OGG can be supported.

How do we check the final size?
    @J3sseM You can check the final size of the iOS app in the Project Navigator of Xcode. After you've built and run your app, click on the 'Show the Project Navigator' icon. It's the first icon (looks like a folder) and is at the top of the Navigator bar on the left of Xcode. Then click on your project name to see the drop down options. In the Products folder you'll see your app. Right click on it and select 'Show in Finder,' then you can check the file size of the compiled app in the mac Finder window.

App Size.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I talked to Danny yesterday, and he said it would convert to .wav.
    I'm not sure what this whole .ogg talk is about in that case!

I think it's better for us to just compress the .wav files as much as possible, and accept the fact our game will be A LOT bigger on iOS than Android.

Ah, thanks for the info AND, I'll check that out!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for talking to Danny and getting it confirmed!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just... plain madness. My 60mb game on Android is over 150mb on iOS, heavily compressed. Also, the sound quality is a lot worse.
    Now, using .mp3 would do the trick, but to my understanding, you'd need a license if you sell more than 5000 copies of your game.

Can we get a word from CT if we're getting the .ogg support anytime soon?

EDIT: Actually, looping .mp3 doesn't work that well.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't talk about the ios exporter because i don't have it but in terms of the sound quality i can tell from my own experience that everything below 22050 Hz is really bad. So i thing 22050Hz and MONO is the minimum you can go with whatever format you use (except you use chiptunes or something like that ^^).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did some experimenting at the weekend with wave file sample rates. I had previously thought that 22.050kHz was the lowest rate you could use before the sound quality of your music deteriorates, but I found I could save music track .wav files as 16bit 16.000kHz stereo and there's barely any noticeable difference in sound quality compared with 16bit 44.100kHz. The file size is about 1/3 smaller and if I saved them as mono they would be reduced by 1/2 the size of that again.

When I went down to 11.025kHz there was a noticeable difference in music quality, but for voice and short sound effects this sample rate is ok, even in 8bit. The problem you get with 8 bit samples though is you can get a bit of noise in silent parts, especially at the end of the sample. I use a lot of sound effects saved as 8bit 11.025kHz mono .wav files and they sound fine and are even smaller than .ogg files. I just compared an 8bit 11.025kHz mono .wav sound effect (duration 00:01) to the same effect saved as .ogg. The wave file is just 18kB and the .ogg file is 5 times larger at 92kB.

I think until Fusion 3 comes out we can only use what we have. I think CT should recommend using lower rate .wav samples for keeping project sizes down and no one should suggest using .ogg files for iOS projects. It is pointless to author your projects with .ogg compression and then have them automatically converted to much larger 16bit 44.100kHz .wav files. MP3s are a problem, not only because of the royalty issue, but also they don't behave properly in iOS. I couldn't use them to determine channel position. At least if you make your .wav files smaller, they will remain small when you export them to iOS and you can control the final size of your app.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast