User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Random landscape like Scramble?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Random landscape like Scramble?

Hello,

I'm a new buyer of Fusion and I'm attempting to learn how to use it but creating some old classic games from the 70's and 80's.
    if anyone remembers Scramble? you flew a spaceship through a random landscape shooting and bombing targets.

I'm wondering if there is an easy way to create a random scrolling landscape like Scramble?

(If you don't remember the game, here is a video:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbtpS0e8BJ4 )

Thank you

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the easiest way I can think of:

Have a "terrain" active object that is tall and thin. Put its hotspot at the very top. Make an event Always --> Set X coordinate of Terrain to X("Terrain")-1 so they're always moving to the left. Have an offscreen "creator" object that moves up and down randomly. Create terrain objects at (0,0) from this object at fixed intervals so they line up and make a terrain. Of course you have to make sure you destroy them after they leave the left side of the frame.

For game objects, I would just create them at random intervals. So, have an alterable value "RocketCountdown" that initially gets set to 10 + random(291) (this will return at least 10 and at most 300). Do Always ---> Subtract 1 from RocketCountdown. When RocketCountdown is <= 0, spawn a rocket from your "creator" object that generates the terrain, and again set "RocketCoundown" to 10 + random(291).

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well thank you very much for taking the time and effort to try and help me, I really appreciate it

I've carefully read what you put and then read it again and read it again very slowly but (no offence intended) I don't understand a word of it, it might as well be written in russian for me. - However thats not all bad, reading that over and over has convinced me that I am just well.. lets say too uneducated or dumb to really use Fusion.

But thank you again for trying to help me.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    don't give up Paul,
    there's a ton to learn in Fusion
    but luckily it has a very quick learning curve

facing things that seem hard from the beginning may boost your skills,
    or drain your enthusiasm down,
    if you're interested in learning this - don't let it put you down,
    you'll see how fastly you can achieve lots of things

The thing you're asking for is not that basic, btw,
    and UltimateWalrus suggestion is probably the quickest and easiest way to achieve that.

Look for "endless runners" tutorials,
    they've been a popular genre lately,
    and there are a tons tutorials out there,
    they're overall very similar to what you need.

If you need clarifications ask here, there's lot of people happy to share infos and learn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you.

I've been searching youtube but not found many tutorials, are there any books I might buy that would help?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry my post was discouraging Paul! If you didn't understand my post then it's likely just because you're new to Fusion, not because you're too dumb to use it.

If you're really new then you should definitely go through the Chocobreak tutorial. Catch the fruit is another one you could try. More tutorials are here You can search the forums for even more tutorials that are good for beginners.

The best way to get better at virtually any discipline is to work at the very top of, but still within, your comfort zone. So, once you feel you have the basics down, I would come up with a very simple game idea (simpler than Scramble) and try to implement it using just what you know. Once you have a basic prototype, call it done and move onto your next project. If you make a bunch of tiny little games that are within, but stretching the boundaries of, your comfort zone, you'll get better and better at Fusion in a fun and natural way, and it'll feel more like playing than working :]

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here's a tutorial for an endless runner:
    http://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/...ch--gamedev-48

it's for MMF but you'll find most things are quite the same,
    these games rely on simpler environments than Scramble,
    but may get you started on the concepts Walrus was talking about

I'm not that expert on resources for starters,
    (I did that kind of training on the Klik'n Play / TGF age)
    I can suggest visiting Marvin's website for a collection of examples and also some guides,
    looking for Snail's and Sparckman's tutorials online
    and searching this very forum for specific needs,
    it's filled with loads of informations about just everything.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PaulFoster, also take a look here http://community.clickteam.com/threads/37490-Random-Terrain-Generator, there's an example of random terrain generator which is similar to Scramble's one and may be useful.
    Keep in mind it's a bit advanced; if you're starting out, I suggest beginning studying canabalt example suggested by Schrodinger and looking for similar examples ('endless runners') on the forums, Marv's website, web/youtube.

Clicker iOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there Paul.... I know others have posted already on this, but I thought I would upload something that may help you.

You see, believe it or not, I am a programmer (back in the good old Spectrum/Dragon/Amiga days) and while Im still getting my head around F2.5, I knew exactly what you wanted as I have programmed something like it before.

Take a look at the file I have uploaded... Its is a VERY simple program in F2.5 that uses random positions of a block to make a scrolling landscape.
    It does need a touch-up here or there, as I have only set it up to destroy the blocks when it reaches the edge of the screen....and you may want to change that a bit, but its such a simple and easy thing to do that if you mess about with the RND parts of it, you could create much more varied landscapes.

You could also add another set above the ground set so that it looks like your flying in to a cave if you want.
    Hope it helps a bit, but as I said, I know others have answered you by now, so whatever way you do it, good luck!

Anyway... heres the file --->
    Attached files Attached files

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your help, you're all amazing and really helpful!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast