User Tag List

Thread: Platform confusion. Why is the object not falling?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2XNA Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Platform confusion. Why is the object not falling?

So I'm making a beat em up. I need 8 direction movement as well as the ability to jump. (Ninja Turtles, Turtles in Time is an example)

Here is how I'm trying to do it;

The player controls an active object which acts as a platform. This object has 8 direction movement.
    The player controls an active object which represents their character. This object has platform movement.

When the frame starts the character object is set to be positioned right above the platform object. All speed settings on both objects are EXACTLY the same.

So in my head; how this should work is that the platform moves left and right at the same speed as the character the platform moving up and down through the play area will simulate the 8 direction component for the character object, but because the character object has platform control it should theoretically look like it's jumping.

When the game is ready to build the 'platform' would be set to not be visible on start up; thus hiding the 'trick'

Now here is what DOES happen. The frame starts and the character object is frozen in place and does not fall. does not jump. does not even play the jumping animation (it is set up correct so it should at least do that).

I thought: that is strange. so I went in and deleted every single collision event it had. It still would not fall. Right then and there I knew there was a huge problem. an object with no colision that has platform movement should ALWAYS fall through the screen.

So clearly this method doesn't work; Or CTF has a serious issue there.

Does anyone have alternate suggestion for how to get 8 directional movement WITH the ability to jump? I know I'll have to put a system together but I really though that would work; and I still can't see why the hell it's not. I mean I even set up a side project without any of the other game elements and it still does that making me go 'why the hell is it doing that?

I'll keep at it; there must be a way, but really. What the hell? After it first happened I swung my arms up in the air and said 'what?!' out loud. I got some stares.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Please don't scrub your posts like this, instead share what you worked out so others can benefit from you experience and discovery

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a example:

goldenaxe.mfa

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For that type of movement system, this is what you need to do.

Create 1 "Shadow" object.
    This will be a static object, representing the Characters Shadow, or it can be invisible.
    Give it the 8dir movement type.
    This Obj will be interacting with Walls and Obstacles in the game.
    This Object will not be able to jump.

Create a "Sprite" object.
    This will be the visual character.
    This Obj will not have a movement of its own, but will follow the Shadow object around.
    Give this Obj an AltValA called Jump_

This code should meld everything together.

+ always
    -> Sprite set Xpos to Shadow Xpos
    -> Sprite set Ypos to Shadow Ypos + Jump

+ Press space
    + Jump = 0
    -> Set Jump_ to -15

+ Jump is different from 0
    + Sprite Ypos is lower than Shadow Ypos
    -> Subtract 2 from Jump_

+ only one action when loops
    + Sprite Ypos is greater or equal than Shadow Ypos
    -> Sprite set Ypos to Shadow Ypos