User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Doom/Wolfenstein Style Game (made with P3D)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @butterfingers , we should get you to polish up and offer it on Clickstore.
    Hmm, probably not something I'd want to do, the editor is FAR from being user friendly to anyone, it just works for my needs.

I'll likely post the mfa for the game when I give up on it, so that other people can check it out though!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schrodinger View Post
    Ohhh wow,
    I know I may be a little biased, but I totally love the way you're using the engine
    clean and "claustrophobic" setting, cool.
    Thanks, I'm going to have sections that aren't quite so low-celing as this one, all the art is just placeholder for a minute while I write gameplay code.

Interested to see what kind of issues you may get into - and how to face them!
    Well, once I've done pathfinding/AI then pretty much all the heavy code is in there. I still need to get the latest version of the engine in there, so I can use the "inverted" faces feature for floor/ceiling. That's going to mean I'm rendering 2/3 the number of faces that I'm doing at the moment, which should give some overhead for cool gameplay stuff.

New "lightsource" feature is going to add some extra juice to the "dark" setting and shooting effects, also!
    (or maybe some unneeded overhead )
    Yeah, that looks great. Is there a limit to how many you can have - and if there is, is it possible to activate and deactivate them based on distance to the player (so you can have say, 20 lightsources in the level, but only calculate the 5 closest or something)?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait... are you allowed to put up the MFA file? I mean, it WAS made using an engine from the Clickstore...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll check with Shrodinger, was thinking I could post it without the P3D engine code.
    You'd have to paste that group of the code back in yourself (I haven't made changes to the engine code).

I hadn't really thought about it TBH!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh, ehm, yes, you can post it without the engine,
    so that other users with the engine can "plug" it inside

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butterfingers View Post
    Is there a limit to how many you can have
    Not by design, only limit would be the additional overhead.
    First tests showed some extra lag in my machine from 4-5 lightsources at the same time
    but needs to be optimized still in many ways, and I hope improving these numbers.

- and if there is, is it possible to activate and deactivate them based on distance to the player (so you can have say, 20 lightsources in the level, but only calculate the 5 closest or something)?
    Mmm this is a good question!
    With the test code I currently have - yes, you would have direct control as they are additional objects.
    With the modifications I was thinking doing, actually not...
    but the engine would take care of this already (activating only ones inside render_depth / view angle)
    I was thinking using an additional qualifier, you can enable in "static sprites" and "physical objects"
    + two values each (light_intensity and light_radius)
    to avoid using extra objects
    but since you can't add/remove qualifiers in runtime, you wouldn't be able to add/remove lightsources in runtime...

I'll have to think closely at this.. maybe giving the user an option to turn them "off"
    like setting light_intensity to 0, would also keep the source off from the processing chain.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah I see.

Wait, are you using the RGB Coefficients of the objects to do the lighting?

That thread we were reading the other day about palette switching has given me an idea about something with the RGB coefficients. Was going to dig around in P3D after work to try something, but if you're using it for the lighting it might actually prove helpful!

Oh, I emailed you about a potential bug in the Invert setting in P3D too btw.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, I'm doing that with RGB coefficients in the video posted!

That palette thread was inspiring,
    I have a feeling it will open a whole new kind of chances I never thought about...
    thanks for any idea as always!

..potential bug..
    Oh, really ? Gonna check the email immediately!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, took some time tonight playing around with the fog code in P3D, altered it so there isn't transparency in the fogging, objects just get darker, and made it so the fog can change dynamically.
    Quite pleased with the final effect.

Also, awesome bugfix/update from Shrodinger has made a big efficiency improvement if you're making this kinda game, allowing you to render floor+ceiling in 1 object.
    hurrah

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awesome idea and implementation man,
    will test this in depth and (unless anything I can't think of brokes unexpectedly)
    make it available to all P3D users from next update.

Wonderful!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast