User Tag List

Thread: 1st Game - Turn-Based Tactics - X-Com Like?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st Game - Turn-Based Tactics - X-Com Like?

Hello!

My name is Tom and this is my first post on this forum but certainly not my last because I just buyed Fusio 2.5 on Steam last week and I really want to get into it. Now that I'm finished with the tutorials and I experimented with it for a bit, I would like to start a first project that would educate me on how to use Fusion 2.5. I would like to create a simple Turn-Based Tactical game like X-Com, Xenonauts, The Banner Saga or Dragonfall.

So, is this a too hard thing to do for someone who begin with Fusion 2.5? Is there a good tutorial for this specific genre? If not, what would be the tutorials I would need to get the most informations I need to complete this project? Is there anyone of you who did a TBT with Fusion?

Also, is there anything I should know about Fusion that would help me in my quest?

Thank you all.

p.s: I'm super hyped to start this project!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Fulse, it is great to see new enthusiastic users

I bet you'll have lot of fun, and lots of troubles

Well, mine is more of a "welcome" post as I never did such kind of games (coooool) and can't recall seeing any specific tutorial on the matter
    (Snail did a X-Com like "inventory" tutorial, but I guess you need something focused on the gameplay..)
    searching the internet and the forum will probably help you find out many things about "specific" needs.

I think you'll have to chase what you need step-by-step as your project can easily get much complex,
    turn-based-strategy like these (from what I remember) may include advanced taks like isometric graphics/positioning and pathfinding.

Turn-basing actions shouldn't be a big issue, if you carefully plan your work.

So - all you want to do is definitely doable,
    if you have some specific question let us know,
    as for a general tutorial on turn-based-strategy games.. none that I know of

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patience ,and invest on the game you want to make, it may become a hit in the market anyone can do it.
    Just you need to go through the long haul to get their. Determination ,Patience ..have Notebook and write or type down
    the plans, on how to make your Game.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really just doing it for my own education, I'm not trying to market anything.

Any good tutorial website you guys know that might help me ?

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd start by making very simple prototypes of the individual bits. As a n00b, something like a fixed isometric perspective, or the head-on overhead style of "Steam Marines" will be easiest. That's if you don't want it even simpler and to head back to the style of Gallop's older games of Lazer Squad, Chaos, etc.

Nivram's site has tonnes of tutorials. I'd pick some of those relative to the features you want to start with and play around with some examples there first.

Good luck, I love X-com, sounds like a great idea.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would potentially be advanced, but i would 'not' discurrage you from going ahead.

Agents in these types of games move from A to B while navigating around Obstacles and through different type of terrain, the playfield is usually grid based.
    This is Pathfinding.

Id suggest you start by Creating 1 Agent/ Unit and get it to move around a Playfield with Obstacles present.
    Youd have to get used to thinking about the Playfield as a Grid/ set of squares.

Id start this off by learning to use the Pathfinding Object.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Making a game like X-COM is definitely doable in F2.5, though it might be a bit too advanced for a novice. X-COM is a pretty complex strategy game and players will expect the AI to act with a certain amount of intelligence, have good path finding, use tactics ect.

That being said, making a simpler turn based game shouldn't be too hard. There is a pathfinding object that you could use for a grid based movement. Something on the scale of a rouge like where monsters act independently or a JRPG where you don't need to deal with positioning would be pretty easy to pull off.

Making an X-COM game would be a pretty big project, specially if you intend to keep the isometric and destructible aspects but it's definitely possible. I'd recommend setting your sights on something a little more humble for your first few projects though.