User Tag List

Thread: Is there a way to get a frames index via it's name?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Is there a way to get a frames index via it's name?

Much like how the Layer object can retrieve a layers number given it's name, Is there an extension that can do this for frames?

I'm making a metroidvania. I need to set up a lot of doors between frames, and if the numbers constantly change it will be a nightmare. If I could link frames via their names it sure would be of great help. Thanks for reading.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5+ DLC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that I am aware of.

I don't see why you need to reference them by name, though? If you use the "Jump to frame" option, and then re-arrange the frames, it will still jump to the correct frame regardless. You can test this yourself real quick with a new application.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because it's a metroidvania and I'm going to be adding frames left and right and I regret using clickteam so hard right now.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    casleziro is right. If, on Frame 1, you've used "Jump to Frame 3", and add a new frame between 2 and 3 (i.e. a new Frame 3), Fusion will update the action to "Jump to Frame 4". There are other reasons you might regret using Fusion but this is one of its many good points.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know you probably did,
    but just in case...
    have you ever considered doing some simple level editor and going single-frame?

Would save you tons of hassle in this kind of game (and more so for menus/enemies/weapons etc.)
    and obviously you could reference any "level" section dynamically in any way you like

Although casleziro and nim are right, if we didn't misunderstood something:
    go to frame -- do not use expression editor and choose a frame from the list
    will update the frame id reference regardless of you adding new frames inbetween

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks guys!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a way to get a frames index via it's name?

Fusion should automatically remember which frame you wanted to transfer to when you use the "Jump to Frame" function. Adding new frames or rearranging them shouldnt affect the jump between frames at all.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does. Select the frame you want to jump to from the list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the revival. I am having a real issue by not having this feature.
    I have a list of levels and a level select screen that unlocks one level if you already played. Right now my savegame consists on a value of the last played level since they are consecutive. But since I cannot know which frame index is the very first level I have to manually update the initial index. And now, I wanted to include cutscenes inbetween those levels, and the number of scenes / frames are not necesarily consistent, which means that if I have 500 frames to handle in the level selector, I have to manually determine for each of them which level they are.

I know that there are workarounds, but it could be as simple as:

Alterable string A = "Level name"
    Start of frame -> set Alterable Value A of "Cell group" to GetFrameIndex(Alterable String A("Cell group");
    if Alterable Value A ("Cell group") is lower than Global Value A -> Unlock

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar issue but maybe the solution in my thread can help you. https://community.clickteam.com/threads/107504-How-to-handle-sorting-when-Saving-loading-levels-with-an-array