Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hive Bomber - Retro Arcade Game

UPDATE: Hive Bomber is now up on Steam Greenlight

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=742007760

Hive Bomber Trailer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been working on this game since Fusion 2.5 came out and I took a long break from these past few months. That said, I'm back in full throttle and I'd estimate that the core game is 90% finished. The menus and settings will take a while. Not looking forward to that.

In this game, you play as the Hive Bomber. The story is bizarre and almost non-existant like many early arcade games. It's not finalized yet but the basic gist is that Mother Nature summoned the Hive Bomber (a spirit) as a method of population control against the ever expanding horde of Cyber Bees. I'm thinking about keeping it as weird and vague as possible.

During the early design phase, I decided to treat it as if it was an HD remake of an old arcade game. I'd describe the graphic style as faux-vector/raster hybrid, if that makes any sense.

The game itself is basically a mix of Breakout, Gyruss, Centipede/Millipede, and Geometry Wars. You control the Hive Bomber which flies around the hive on a circular path (like Gyruss). With shooting controls similar to Geometry Wars, you fire bouncing cannonball-like projectiles at the hive hexes. Your goal for each level is to find 4 randomly placed honeycombs which are hidden in the hexes.

On odd levels, once all 4 honeycombs are found, the hive self destructs. On even levels, you need to also kill the queen which is hidden somewhere in the middle of the hive. If you release the queen before all of the honeycombs are found, she will have an impenetrable bubble shield that won't be deactivated until all honeycombs are retrieved, so it's best to avoid releasing the queen too early if you can. Some of the enemies include worker bees (repair the hive), defender bees (protect bee allies with it's rechargeable bubble-shield), Assault Bees (attack intruders), Spiders (fire webs to trap the Hive Bomber) and the Bee Killer (kills bees to increase it's power and then attacks the Hive Bomber).

The Hive Bomber has many forms. Forms are essentially powerups that are hidden in the hives - 1 form powerup per hive. Each form has specific cannon attributes (light repeating, heavy, Y-shot, etc.) as well as a special ability (bubble shield, flat shield, wind push, gravity well, etc). You can "carry" up to 2 forms at a time - switching between the two by the press of a button. All forms have the ability to teleport as long as you have at least one teleport unit. Other powerups include speed increase, cannonball bounce increase, and satellites.

The gameplay is simple but the variety of enemies, power ups, and multitasking keep things interesting. I'm satisfied with it so far. The only issue is it seems to take a while for people to get a feel of the controls.

I've attached some screens, however the game looks a lot better in motion with all the lighting / neon effects. I'm hoping to get a trailer out soon.
    Images attachées Images attachées

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow! I'm very interested to see it in motion, as it already looks epic from the screenshots. NEON FTW!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This looks lovely, I can't wait to see the trailer.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    same impression here: looks beautiful!

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This looks really nice!
    Can't wait to see the trailer and also play the game.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks really cool! Brings me back to my days of Galaga at the arcades a bit

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Looking Slick!

When you have time good sir fill out: http://indiegames.clickteam.com/submission-form

And if Vubu is still out there submit that one too!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys! The positive responses are encouraging. So, I got side-tracked with a few things and I wasn't able to release the trailer when I had hoped. That said, it's basically finished now and I'm just organizing a few things before I release it. I kinda want to begin the Steam Greenlight campaign the same day as the trailer upload.
    Images attachées Images attachées

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisguri View Post
    Looking Slick!

When you have time good sir fill out: http://indiegames.clickteam.com/submission-form

And if Vubu is still out there submit that one too!

I'll make sure I fill it out when I start the greenlight campaign.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The aesthetics are really pleasing to the eye! Can't wait to see what the gameplay looks like in motion

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast