User Tag List

Thread: HTML5 IF Internet connection drops, game STOPS working

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation HTML5 IF Internet connection drops, game STOPS working

Hi,
    So I noticed this and thought it could be a major problem for building games with HTML5, and I was hoping there is a solution. I built a game and posted it online and it works quite well. Then I tested it on devices and it also works well unless you lose your WiFi signal (which happens frequently at the school I work at). If the WiFi drops or the Internet connection drops, it becomes impossible to go to the next frame of the application. The game basically freezes with no explanation for the user. I am hoping there is a way to load the entire game so that it isn't completely dependent on a continuous connection to the server (like how Flash operates still if you lose your connection). Is there a setting or something that can do this? If not, I can imagine users starting a game and having it unexpectedly freeze on them. At the least, it would be good to have a way of notifying the user that the connection dropped. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks,
    Brett

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Look into the "Allow Offline" property to see if it solves it.
    I haven't tried it myself so report back on how it goes so we can look into it if its broken.

Help says:

Allow offline
    Allows the generation of an "appcache" file, saved beside the html file, that allows your application to work on the user's computer even if his machine is not connected to the Internet. All the sounds, images and data are cached in the browser cache file when the user plays your application for the first time, and will be used if the machine is not connected.
    We suggest you to enable this option only at the end of the development, when your game is complete.
    Note that, in order for this option to work, the mime type "text/cache-manifest" must be defined on your server for the files ending by ".appcache".

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jeff,
    I saw this option but it is greyed out so I can't select it. Do you know why this might occur? How can I check it? I also tried "load all data at start" and this works fine on my desktop and laptop, but on my mobile devices it either won't load the game, or it causes very strange behavior, where a bunch of random graphics appear from the game on the first frame. Here is an example if you want to check it out: http://biomanbio.com/HTML5GamesandLa...html5page.html
    On my computers it looks fine but on my phone it shows a bunch of graphics of the main character and doesn't look anything like the opening frame. It's really bizarre. Do you have any ideas about this? Thanks,
    Brett

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I am wondering if you just need to make the appcache file yourself and place it on your server.
    The help seems to indicate it just makes this file for you.

I am asking some people about it but you can try that for now.
    Perhaps the building of the appcache file for your server hasn't been implimented yet.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yves said he had to turn this off -- So not sure you can get it to work just by making the file yourself.

It was causing problems so you might need to use a different format if you have this issue
    Once I know more I will let you know.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks Jeff,
    Please let me know. I was hoping to be able to use the HTML5 runtime to make my applications available for all types of devices but I keep running into weird problems. Is the HTML5 exporter still under development? Thanks,
    Brett

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes we should be having a nice update for it later this year.
    Not sure on the exact time but some work we are doing right now will benefit HTML5 when its complete.

I need to research the appcache -- Still not sure if the HTML5 files or different or if its just different directives on the server.
    Haven't had a chance to speak with Yves about it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jeff,
    Please keep me updated on what you find out. Thanks,
    Brett

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any update here?

This still seems to be an issue when WiFi signals drop. Is there any solution to it yet? Thanks,
    Brett