User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Not sure what to do with the gamepad support.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure what to do with the gamepad support.

Hey fellow Clickers!

I've been creating my custom movement code and have included Joystic 2 object. I have access to Xbox 360 controller and to Saitek USB controller.
    Some of the stuff works differently, like button layouts, right stick etc.

So, now I'm using event "Controller is Xbox controller" when using Xbox 360 controller, and when not, I just negate the event and alter the other code.

Everything works fine here, but I'm a bit worried about a few things:

1. Lately I've heard Joysic 2 causing a weird crash: http://community.clickteam.com/threads/96866-Joystick-2-Causing-Crash
      I'm thinking if I should avoid using Joystic 2 object?

2. Are there more different controller layouts? Surely there are, but I'm wondering how this could potentially affect the game.
      Is there something obvious I'm missing, any experiences from the other users? At the moment my code just checks for two different controller types: Is it a Xbox controller or not.

Should I be expecting troubles?

Any help would be appreciated!

Jesse

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are a Windows only project, I would say to allow the player the option to change key assignment. It basically solves your problems in all cases, including keyboard. At least for keys... Joysticks are another matter.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was meaning to reply to the other thread, turning off "Poll for new devices" solves the crash for me.. I'd say it's not an issue as long you don't have those options ticked.

For Joypad support I think it's important to allow players to map their own buttons, because so many different joysticks have weird layouts. You can make a custom joypad input the same way you would with allowing the player to set custom keys.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was following that thread too. I just noticed that the info for "poll for new devices" says "don't use on windows Vista!". It also says "copyright 2008", which means it was made before Win7 came out. I guess the extension author was aware of the problem you had, DaveC!

I've been using the Joystick 2 object for 2+ years working on Spryke, and I've never had any problems. Though it's a strange beast to set up, and I could never get vibration to work properly. I simultanously use the "XBOX Gamepad" extension just for vibration.

I sure hope Fusion 3 has an in-built gamepad extension that is sensible and 'just works'

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the idea of a full featured "input" solution that is native to Fusion3.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay thanks guys, hearing the crash can be solved that easily I will stick with Joystic 2 object.

I'm making rebindable keys for keyboard but not for gamepad. After all I don't have too many buttons in the game, as long as both sticks works it should be all good.

Alright, thanks again!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone who is currently developing a game that is primarily controlled by joysticks, it is very important to have buttons and controllers changeable. I solved the issue by using global values for the joystick the player was using, and the buttons they were using. However, if you intend to use the right stick at all it is VERY important to program in different "Controller types". Different controllers uses different axes for the right stick, and where one controller might work, others wont. Example: Xbox one controllers use the Xrotation and Yrotation for the right stick, however, PS4 controllers use the Z axis and Zrotation for the right stick.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey PlasmaVoid, thanks for the info!

Exactly kind of troubles I was expecting.
    Though does Windows allow to directly connect the PS4 controller? At least with PS3 (as long as I'm aware) you needed to do something in order to make it work, and even then didn't it simulate Xbox controller?
    Any idea?

At the moment this is going to be Windows only.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and to ask if anyone knows: Joystic 2 and rumble feature? (Force Feedback)
    It works perfectly here on Xbox 360 controller, but I'm curious if it works with other controllers as well?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be curious to see stats for PC gamepad users. My hunch is that almost all of them use xbox 360 or xbox one (virtually the same), and a very tiny minority use PS3 or PS4 (and this group is probably accustomed to having to use workarounds).

I'm certainly going to make Spryke as compatible with other gamepads as I can, and I'll buy as many as I can for testing. But something tells me that it won't matter for 99.9% of my players.

btw, I used an xbox 360 gamepad* for the first year of working on Spryke, and an xbox one gamepad over the last year or so, and they work exactly the same with the joystick 2 object in my experience.

*actually a razer sabertooth, but that's essentially the same thing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast