Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A full screen way to combat the Steam Overlay glitch?

Sorry to high jack this thread a bit, but I am just starting my next oroject which will be primarily PC and use Steam. It is a pixel art game and I currently use UFS with no distortion. Am I in for trouble? Also, how important is Steam overlay support?

You can test, just build your app and add it to your steam library, then you can run with the overlay! As I said, a common issue would be wrong mouse coordinates when you navigate the overlay resulting in problems when trying to click the buttons. This will only happen if UF has to add black margins, if your resolution is scalable integer only to the users desktop you´re fine.

by the way: Treasure Buster was my mobile game of the year, looking forward to seeing a game of you on steam! :P

I really don´t know how many people actually use steam overlay, especially for indie gaming. I would say as long as it does not cause a crash minor bugs like wrong mouse coordinates are forgivable. There´s also an option to ask Steam to deactivate the overlay completely for your game, I doubt many people would complain about this, but I could be wrong..
    Last edited by Julian82; 10th January 2017 at 02:04 PM.

Julian82, the steam overlay displacement is when, say, you want to click and close an achievement message? Also, I assume that the display would be more noticeable the larger the black bars? I mean, a 16:10 monitor would have a thin black bar, as a 4:3 res. would be more problematic...

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Blog Entries
    The Steam Overlay is very important for one reason alone I can think of:

Without it, you won't be able to let players press F12 for the screenshots (or at least I haven't figured out a way to do it without the overlay). And without screenshots your game's community hub will take a big hit!

I only know this because one time I accidentally uploaded a new build that was compiled in standard instead of the normal HW3D9 and it de-activated the overlay no screenshots were possible using the F12 method.
    Weebish Mines, retro Metroidvania on Greenlight!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=849688710

So you can't ctrl+printscreen?

What about FRAPS? or other program such as GreenShot?

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Blog Entries
    I don't know about those, only that the way most people there already take screenshots is by using the built-in F12 method, which then opens up the option to put the pictures on their cloud save and all that jazz.
    Weebish Mines, retro Metroidvania on Greenlight!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=849688710

Quote Originally Posted by Del_Duio View Post
    The Steam Overlay is very important for one reason alone I can think of:
    Another big one is being able to use the steam messenger. A third is being able to get help with the game via the steam browser or guides. Also, looking at the game's achievements if you're achievement hunting.

As a consumer the steam overlay is a big part of why I like playing games on steam, and I definitely miss it in games where it's disabled. It's super convenient to be able to do the above without having to tab out or exit a game.

So, to sum it up: Steam Overlay should not be disabled and there is no reliable way to use Ultimate Full Screen with Steam Overlay. We should use the default full screen method and try to use a 16:9 resolution to fit most of res. possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian82 View Post
    You can test, just build your app and add it to your steam library, then you can run with the overlay! As I said, a common issue would be wrong mouse coordinates when you navigate the overlay resulting in problems when trying to click the buttons. This will only happen if UF has to add black margins, if your resolution is scalable integer only to the users desktop you´re fine.

by the way: Treasure Buster was my mobile game of the year, looking forward to seeing a game of you on steam! :P

I really don´t know how many people actually use steam overlay, especially for indie gaming. I would say as long as it does not cause a crash minor bugs like wrong mouse coordinates are forgivable. There´s also an option to ask Steam to deactivate the overlay completely for your game, I doubt many people would complain about this, but I could be wrong..
    What resolutions do you recommend?
    Selecting the right resolution is always my biggest headache and UFS always distorts my **** in the end... I never thought going fullscreen would be this much of a headache.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast