User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which editor(s) do you use?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • I mainly use the Event Editor

26 44.83%
  • I use both, about equally

16 27.59%
  • I mainly use the Event List Editor

16 27.59%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Do you prefer Event Editor or Event List Editor?

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @AND @Volnaiskra

Here is a screenshot of the event list in my Fusion 2.5 level editor for comparison. Significantly more intimating than Construct 2's if you ask me!

http://puu.sh/prW7b/67b9bf37f2.png

And if that isn't bad enough, imagine all of this being hidden behind a grid of checkboxes. It's madness I tell ya. So again, event list editor all the way

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Ryzla Yes, the list editor does look intimidating and that's why I prefer the event editor. The fact that the actions are hidden behind checkboxes is a good thing because everything is tidy and organised. You only see what you need to see at any given time, so you are not distracted or overwhelmed. In other words you can concentrate on just the objects you are working on, especially when you filter them and only the conditions and actions that effect them remain.

@Volnaiskra I put my objects into object folders as you stated so that everything is organised and you don't have loads of objects going off the right hand side of the screen. But I disagree that it's time consuming. Instead of moving objects into the folders, I drag the object folder brackets around the objects. I create the object folder brackets at the beginning of a set of objects, then I drag the right hand bracket to the end of the objects. It's much quicker that way.

For me using the event editor is a bit like keeping your office tidy. You're much happier when everything's organised, you feel calmer and ready to work on new things. Most importantly you don't have to waste time searching through piles of things to find what you want, because you can get to it straight away as you know exactly where you put everything.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AND, I think working with the ELE can probably be quite different to how you imagine it.

Does the upper screenshot look like an untidy desk to you? I challenge you to claim that it does.

In fact, there's a fair bit about the lower screenshot that is less tidy, and combines to make coding a less organised, calm experience than the view above:

-There are a dozen identical looking folders at the top, all completely unlabeled
    -There are a whole bunch of unrelated and irrelevant objects cluttering up the top row
    -There are potentially hidden actions off the screen (yes, even though I religiously use folders, as you can see)
    -You can't actually see what the code is doing.
    -You can't see how two sets of actions are interrelating with each other - you can only hover over one, then commit it to memory (wasted mental energy), then hover over another
    -You don't know the order in which actions are being executed, unless you double click into a separate screen

You only see what you need to see at any given time
    I think this statement is inaccurate. The Event Editor is only capable of showing you the actions for one object and one event at a time. Sometimes this is "what you need to see", and sometimes it's not. Sometimes you need to see an entire event, or multiple events. Sometimes you need to see the order of events.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Volnaiskra, this is a really great thread you started!

I certainly wouldn't claim that your upper screenshot looks untidy. You have it very organised with all your events grouped into folders and sub folders. Wouldn't you admit though, that you have all the folders closed, apart from one, and so you can't see all the events and actions at a glance in the way Zonacas describes?

In your lower screenshot you can easily see whats in the object folders because they are named - you only have to quickly run the cursor over them to check which is which and open up the folder you want.

How do you filter the objects in the ELE? I haven't found a way to do this there, but I have to admit I haven't really tried programming in the ELE, so all my comments are based on how easy and convenient I find the event editor to be.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly wouldn't claim that your upper screenshot looks untidy. You have it very organised with all your events grouped into folders and sub folders. Wouldn't you admit though, that you have all the folders closed, apart from one, and so you can't see all the events and actions at a glance in the way Zonacas describes?
    I can't imagine ever wanting to see all the events at once. I could be wrong, but I doubt that's what Zonacas means either. I generally just want to look at the chunks that I'm working on, and so I close/open my folders to facilitate that. So, in the screenshot, I'm working on the bubble burst animation, and the ELE lets me see every part of how that animation works at a glance, while the EE doesn't.

In your lower screenshot you can easily see whats in the object folders because they are named - you only have to quickly run the cursor over them to check which is which and open up the folder you want.
    C'mon. You can't tell me you haven't wished that the folders had visible names like they do in......every other sane piece of software under the sun! It's like the difference between having all drawers in your office labelled with visible labels, versus having them labelled in Braille, so that you have to run your finger over each label one-by-one each time.

Until the most recent update a few weeks ago, the tooltip delay was a mandatory 0.5 seconds. That means that if you had about 15 folders like I do, you'd waste up to 7.5 seconds(!) every time, just to do something that should be near-instantaneous. With the recent update it's much better (I've changed it to 0.05 seconds, and I'm thinking of taking up learning Swahili with all this new free time I have :p ), but still hardly ideal. The Event Editor and Event List Editor both have significant usability issues, and this is one of them. Hopefully it'll be addressed in Fusion 3.

How do you filter the objects in the ELE?
    You can't. That's definitely one of the deficiencies of the ELE. Though I personally don't miss filtering, and I don't use it much when I'm in the Event Editor either. I've found that grouping and subgrouping all of my code into logical chunks tends to 'filter' the objects on its own to suit my needs enough. And when it doesn't, I just use Ctrl-F and F3

However, one of the things I miss the most in the ELE is the ability to choose any object from the top row and start creating actions for it. The ELE is fast when you're working with the same few objects repeatedly, but I often find myself needing to dip into the EE to introduce a new object (or else I need to create the action totally from scratch by clicking "insert your action here", which can also be slow).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for replying - I can't think of anything else to say now!

I hope Anders and Clickteam had a good read of this thread - there's been really useful feedback on the practical use of these two editors.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for filtering through objects, why not go with the obvious solution and add a predictive search bar in every object list...like Construct 2

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    well that pretty much wraps this thread up tho i'm glad it existed for clarification

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the search that narrows as you type. If it did it automatically (without needing to click search bar) that would be awesome

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I want that filtering so bad. While I think it is a must for Fusion 3 I wonder what the chances are to see this in Fusion 2.5.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast