User Tag List

Thread: Spud's Quest inventory system

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spud's Quest inventory system

Any ideas how to make this? In Chris Davis' Spud's Quest you can collect and carry a maximum of four items which can be scrolled through and dropped and used/picked up again. It is the staple inventory system of the Dizzy games on the 8 and 16-bits. I've tried making one but it's beyond my capabilities. The dialogue system works the same way when the player engages NPC's. Can't make that work either.

I found a tutorial made by Nivram but can't open the .mfa in MMF2 so I suspect it's for Fusion 2.5 or maybe an older program.

For those unfamiliar with Spud's Quest, the Dizzy games and the inventory system I'm referring to here's a video of it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_P18Dv5f-I#t03m41s - I recommend switching the sound off, the commentator's voice is like scraping teeth down a blackboard.

I emailed Chris and straight out asked him for a tutorial or .mfa... he hasn't replied. Didn't expect him to to be honest.

I've nailed pretty much everything else in my simple short puzzle platform game, it's just missing this so I really need the help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone open this .mfa in MMF2? http://www.castles-of-britain.com/di...oryexample.mfa

I emailed the proprietor of the castles-of-britain.com site to say this example .mfa doesn't open in MMF2, they insist that it does when they open it.
    All I get is an Unknown format! error message and then "Failed to open document".

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    Yes link is broken for me too . I had this example and uploaded it again for you :
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/thtnaoc0a3...ample.mfa?dl=0

Have fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh, that's awesome! Thanks MEHRDAD, now I can finally implement that into my game.
    Just had a look, wow I did not think the whole inventory system would be so... extensive. That's some pretty impressive work from Phizzy!

EDIT

Oh hold on. I can't run the application or frame. I get this message: "Cannot find txtblt.mfx!" is that referring to an extension I don't have?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please open attached file
    Copy Extension and Data in main folder
    Attached files Attached files

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MEHRDAD but I found the extension pack 1, so I used that instead. Not sure I'll ever need to use the other extensions but at least they're there if I need them.

I have a small problem now. Actually I have two.

Rather than just copy the code into my own project I decided to go through it line by line and create it from scratch in my own project (the dizzyinventoryexample.mfa open on one monitor and my project open on another)... well, it's the best way to learn! It went reasonably well. I adapted the code sparingly where needed for my game but it is essentially the same and seems to work, kind of.

1. How do I change the size of the font for the item names and "nothing"? I imported the text blitter image from the dizzy example into my own but I need it to use the Helvetica font I got from Deluxe Paint (from Amiga emulation) i.e the same font size and type as the "You are carrying" text and "Choose item to use or drop" (see image below). How do I do this?

I'm aiming for the game to look like an Amiga game so I need the font to match (with pixel size at 2x2 like the rest of the graphics).

2. When the player moves into the next area on the right and opens the inventory it is off the screen on the left and does not appear in the middle. This is related to the events for scrolling at the end of the code from the dizzy example I think but I'm still using actives and detectors for doing the scrolling (the old dirty way) - I need do it that way for other reasons, plus I'd already created all the actives before I discovered the neater way of doing it in the dizzy example.

Also my custom platform movement is not the same as the dizzy example as it uses the MMF2 platform movement. I'm using a modified David Newton movement. So perhaps there's an issue there too.

So,

- How do I change the font size for item names?
    - How do I make the inventory appear in the middle of the display wherever the player is at?

Here's some screen grabs

And here's my .mfa (for MMF2+extension pack 1) if you want to take a look (the game is still very much a work in progress):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9qiwabl6g...%2017.mfa?dl=0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I have to change the RGB colours for the flashing of inventory items but when I change:

Replace Color GetRGB(255, 255, 255) with GetRGB(255, 0, 0)

With:

Replace Color GetRGB(255, 255, 255) with GetRGB(238, 0, 0)

The flashing doesn't work. I'm sticking with the Amiga's default 32 colour pallet so a red value of 255 isn't right, it has to be 238 to match the original. Not that there's a huge amount of different between the two but why does changing the number make it stop flashing?

On the other hand with the line:

Set selectionRGB2 to GetRGB(0, 255, 0)

That green is too bright for the Amiga 32 colour pallet so I change it to 0, 136, 0 and that works. I can put any RGB value in here and it still flashes from white to whatever colour so why only the red that's a problem?

Is this a bug with MMF2 or what?

EDIT

Woops! My bad, I missed changing an RGB value further down the code. Now it works!

Still need help with the font size in the text blitters though and why the inventory opens half off the screen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I solved the problem with the inventory window popping up in the centre of the display now I just need help with the size of my font for the text blitters.

This should say "Nothing":

This is my image, note I did not include anything after "z" as I don't need them. All these fonts fit in a square 16x16:

Here's the settings:

What am I doing wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone please help? The text in my blitters are all gibberish. I can't find ANY tutorials anywhere about using your own font image.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to DavidN I got it sorted. Turns out my font size wasn't set correctly due to the preview being bugged, I didn't think it was working. Never occurred to me to click Ok and check it anyway!

Here's Phizzy's Dizzy inventory example for those who want it and I can't find it or a working version:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/knhcj556tb...ample.mfa?dl=0

And here's DavidN's awesome 16-bit style bitmap fonts:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7aih3818u...fonts.mfa?dl=0