User Tag List

Thread: How do Cloud saves work in practise?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How do Cloud saves work in practise?

One big problem I have had in my previous app Tap Heroes that is an idle game where the game is saving at regular frequent intervals is that I have got quite many reports of people who have got their save cleaned, or "corrupted" I guess, and have to start over from the beginning. One bad things about this is the obvious 1 star rating, but it is even extra critical if they have actually bought inapp gems etc for real money since those are also lost. I assume a save erase is mostly happening if an app is closed or the phone turned off etc in the middle of the game saving?

Now I am looking into adding Cloud Saves to my next game to help with this. But I am a little unsure on exactly how Cloud Saves would work in a scenario like this? Lets take the Android Cloud save service in the Google Game Center for example. Should you save to the cloud for every save and just use cloud saves and no saves to ini, or is it better to have a manual button to back up your save that the user can restore from if something happened to the ini? Can you even have several slots? Like one autosave Cloud Save, and one manual backup Cloud save?
    And also if you have automatic Cloud Saving, how do you make sure that it is not overwriting with a save that is corrupted or after the save has been destroyed and the game starts over from scratch? This is the point where you would want to have a backup.

Anyone have experience with this and could describe the best method and how this really works?

Also side question, is there a way to Cloud Save for iOS? Perhaps with the Game Center object?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleMac Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outcast - Not sure about Android side of things, but this might help for iOS: https://developer.apple.com/icloud/d...age/index.html

I've not tried doing stuff specifically for Cloud saves, but generally put stuff in Documents folder or the app's folder (rather than Cache or Temp), so if Cloud Save is turned on it should get saved when iOS does a backup. Mainly because Cache or Temp can get cleared if iOS needs the memory when multiple apps are running.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks AyreGuitar, but it is to technical for me to understand what to do with that information in practise :/ I guess that is the downside to working in Fusion that you are so used to not have to dibble in that stuff I assume there is no examples on how to set this up?