User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: (WIP)Adventure of the StarTwins: 2-player run-and-gun platformer

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(WIP)Adventure of the StarTwins: 2-player run-and-gun platformer

Hey everyone!

I haven't announced this game before, because it hasn't been my main project (that would be War for Robovania). However, I felt that it was about time I let you guys give it a try, so here it is: http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure-...r-twins/161629

Promotional logo thingy:

Thumbnail.png

Adventure of the StarTwins is a retro run-and-gun platformer with a 2-player co-op mode. Currently, there isn't much more to say about it, but there is a video:

And here's some screenshots:

Boxing Drone Stage Screenshot 1.png
    Boxing Drone Stage Screenshot 2.png
    Boxing Drone Stage Screenshot 3.png
    Boxing Drone Stage Screenshot 4.png

If you decide to give the teaser version a try, then let me know what you think!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've posted a bit of an update at GameJolt, demonstrating a feature of the game that isn't available in the teaser version: Dr. Nebula's Laboratory.

You can find the link to it here: http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure-...the-lab/160645

And the (badly-looping) GIF associated with the post is right here, in case you don't want to see the full update post:

And the Gfycat version: https://gfycat.com/MaleMagnificentKissingbug

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ahh I like Dr. Nebula's laboratory
    (and appreciate the strong Megaman flavour in most of your games )

At first watching the trailer I thought walking animations felt a bit odd
    ...then I realized they are "skating"
    maybe some backstory will make it more self-evident in the future?

Fun to play, difficult bossfights as usual, clean interface.
    Keep on the good work!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Glad to hear that you like how Dr. Nebula's laboratory turned out! I got help from my sister for most of the artwork in the game; Basically, she sketches out the art for the characters and enemies, and she carefully directs me while I make the in-game versions. For things other than the enemies and characters, and for the occasion where I try making the in-game version when she isn't available, she makes recommendations for modifications I should make to the graphics until they look about as good as their going to get. It's a fairly long process, especially when it comes to things with lots of animation frames (mainly the Star Twins themselves), but it works. As a result, you have her to thank for the character designs and enemy designs. The backgrounds and platform graphics and such were technically me, but even then she gave valuable feedback to me on those as well.

And yes, there will probably be cut-scenes or something that will make it more obvious that the Star Twins are using roller-skates.

Some fun facts about the development process for the game: The walking animation was basically just a placeholder/first draft of the animation at first, but then after realizing that it looked great for a skating animation, I decided to give the Star Twins roller-skates. Before I added the skates, the Star Twins were actually quite a bit slower, but to fit the whole "they have roller-skates" thing, I decided to give them a significant speed boost. Also, the walking animation originally had less animation frames, but since it looked kinda odd, I decided to fix that.

Actually, back to the idea of a cut-scene demonstrating that they have roller-skates; What would you think of the idea of a cut-scene which basically shows the blueprints and specifications for the Star Twins' armors?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think would be cool,
    depicting things like "special powers" they will (likely?) have,
    and the roller skates would be one of them.

I like the way it looks, particularly Dr. Nebula's lair,
    a mix between cartoon figures and 8-bit megaman
    if you(r team !) can manage it,
    maybe would be nice adding some extra cute details / additional colors to actual levels as well

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Additional detail work for the backgrounds, you say?

Probably none for the intro level, since it's supposed to be an abandoned warehouse or some other such dull place.

However, for the next level I'm looking on, while I can't show you it yet (some of the graphics are REALLY far from finalized, for starters), I can tell you that it does have some extra touches to the background.

As for the roller-skates thing... well, that's not quite what I meant... Ever seen the intro from Mega Man X1? I was thinking it could be a bit like that. If you haven't, simply put, Mega Man X1's intro basically highlighted individual components from X's armor, saying their name, what they did, etc.

That being said, what you said DOES give me a cool idea for the screen for earning special weapons...

(P.S. I can't comment too much on the special weapons yet, the first issue being that I myself am not 100% sure about all the details yet, but the plan is to have some kind of weapon copying system like Mega Man... I just can't say the specifics on what I have in mind for how it's going to work, especially since, again, I'm not 100% sure myself.)

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not really the background, I was thinking more at the platforms,
    but not sure how much of that is placeholder now.

And also liked the colored things over shelves + the holografic projector in Dr Nebula laboratory,
    so thought maybe some of those touches would be cool in-game.

Btw, something that I couldn't stop myself thinking :
    I like the faked perspective of that laboratory too,
    that design, paired with the tall, well outlined sprites,
    made me forcedly think of faked-fixed-perspective levels too,
    like in old Probotector/Contra games:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNDtXuM9tVo

Would be probably much more hassle and probably not in your graphic direction of choice,
    but just to throw in the idea..

I think I probably saw Megaman X intro (since I can remember playing the game a bit)
    but can't remember it - anyway, yeah it's what I was thinking!
    I just said "special powers" thinking their regular armour parts could be considered "special"
    (say: "rocket skates", "bulletproof plate"..)
    because I guessed Star Twins rollers wouldn't be just like everyone else's rollers

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... the platforms... Any ideas on what I could do to make those look better? I'm not really sure of what I can do for the intro stage platforms in particular, so suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, I know how the Contra games looked, and while they DID look pretty great, I think it would take too much extra effort to integrate such a style with the existing platforms. Also, even if it wouldn't be too much extra effort, it would have the penalty of making it harder to judge jumps across bottomless pits (the Contra games didn't have bottomless pits very often, so that may be why they were able to get away with it there, when I think about it).

On another note: You do have a point; Those roller-skates ARE special. I mean, how many roller-skates are there out there which let you stop on a dime, while still having at least SOME of the speed advantage that you'd normally get with roller-skates? I guess I must have misunderstood what you meant.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mmm (drawing ideas from the childhood city-tech platformers played on NES..)

since this is a warehouse or some city-building,
    comes to mind the old NES Double Dragon 2 about this minute here:
    https://youtu.be/nwi-vCAQ5LM?t=287
    (i.e. those ...gutters? and palaces roofs, but yours is gonna be more of a "runner" than climb / jump I guess?)

some stage design of "Blue Shadow" maybe:
    https://youtu.be/qtoljvqFD2w?t=67

or "Power Blade":
    https://youtu.be/O2q-W5PgS1g?t=264

maybe "topping" graphics for platforms with horizontal elements,
    and/or some variations inside vertical elements texturing

btw, will you handle strictly horizontal levels or also vertical elevation (ladders, raising platforms, lifts..?)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, given how I'm handling most of the platforms in that stage, I think that something like that should be do-able without TOO much extra effort for the intro stage.

As for vertical elements: While I have no plans on including ladders, and no plans for other, similar vertical-moving level elements and such, the game is actually quite vertical at times, especially in the level I'm currently working on. Thanks to how high the player can jump, I can actually include vertical level layouts without including things like ladders.

Oh, by the way: The graphics are starting to shape up nicely in the stage I'm working on, so soon enough, I might be able to show you a video of the stage in action.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast