Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Creating a fullscreen, low-resolution game? (QUESTION)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Julian, I know the reason! Looki's Lens shader has to be applied to a second layer/to a layer of another Frame. Can you explain this?

perfect scaling template 2.mfa

And thanks for the new example. I tried it with different resolutions and it worked perfectly.
    Last edited by Wodjanoi; 28th July 2016 at 07:05 AM.

Not at all - but it┤s getting more and more interesting:P

It would be great if someone with a knowlege of programming could have a look at this, I feel like there could be happening something on a level that is far beyond of what I can explain. Anyway it is great to have a stable working .mfa now!
    Last edited by Julian82; 28th July 2016 at 12:12 PM.

Edit: Basically the lens shader itself contains a scaling function, perhaps its presence in the .mfa somehow allows Ultimate Fullscreen to work although "resize display to fit window" ist not ticked. But that really is speculative. I think in this case it should also work if lens shader was applied to any layer in Frame 1. We should test that, I can try today evening!

I┤m proud to announce that with the help and clever feedback of Wodjanoi I was finally able to recreate the Ultimate Scaling .mfa

How it works: We don┤t know exactly, but the presence of lookis lens shader in the .mfa somehow helps Ultimate Fullscreen Extension to act quite differently (and better!). The result is, that Ultimate Fullscreen can be combined with window resizing on runtime using Window Control Object. The routine reads out whether the user switched desktop resolution and adjusts the frame for a new pixel perfect fit. So this template is a really good fullscreen and scaling solution, especially for low resolution pixel art games. I use it in my game Outbudides and so far it works perfectly! Perfomance is not impacted by this method.

Changes in this version:
    x I got rid of the second frame, lens shader is now present in the actual frame on an unused invisible layer
    x I got rid of Big box object as Window control object can also read the users desktop resolution

Important notes:
    x keep in mind that unlike normal use of Ultimate fullscreen extension the tickbox "resize display to fill window size" in the games properties has to be EMPTY!
    x the code is commented and basically follows the principles of my first comment to this post

Feel free to use and improve it as you like!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ek53wwyohj...aling.mfa?dl=0

So you have to use the Lens shader? That would be difficult if i want to use any of the exporters since they dont support shaders. Anyway to use fullscreen without it?

For windows .exe ultimate fullscreen can of course be used without using this special method, but as far as I know it would be difficult to make it act that flexible.

In case of porting to mobile I think Ultimate fullscreen can not be used anyway, but I'm sure there already is a best practice stated in the Android and IOS forums.

I updated the pixel perfect scaling routine. Also updated some new information about the inner workings.
    What the scaling routine does: It adjusts your frame size reading out your current desktop resolution and scales up with a pixel perfect fit (integer only). This routine allows for resolution changes at runtime and works perfectly with the steam overlay.

How it works:

1. Ultimate fullscreen extension has to be present in the frame but is NOT used directly anymore
    2. Lens shader has to be present in the .mfa, can even be in another unused frame (lens shader also is NOT used directly)
    3. "Resize display to fill window size" (game properties) has to be UNchecked; also uncheck all Full screen related checkboxes

--> The combination of UF + Lens shader in the .mfa enables Window control object to function differently.
    --> If you find this example not working in editor mode I recommend to reinstall Ultimate fullscreen and run any Fusion update patch afterwards; after this it should also work in editor mode

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8tc1gl7q4...Sg_vdx68a?dl=0

I still would be very interested, if someone with a deeper knowledge of Fusions inner workings could try to explain why this is actually working. For me it still is the best fullscreen solution currently available for windows builds, but it somehow bugs me that it depends on some strange voodoo magic I cannot explain:P
    Last edited by Julian82; 14th January 2017 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian82 View Post
    I updated the pixel perfect scaling routine. Also updated some new information about the inner workings.
    What the scaling routine does: It adjusts your frame size reading out your current desktop resolution and scales up with a pixel perfect fit (integer only). This routine allows for resolution changes at runtime and works perfectly with the steam overlay.

How it works:

1. Ultimate fullscreen extension has to be present in the frame but is NOT used directly anymore
    2. Lens shader has to be present in the .mfa, can even be in another unused frame (lens shader also is NOT used directly)
    3. "Resize display to fill window size" (game properties) has to be UNchecked; also uncheck all Full screen related checkboxes

--> The combination of UF + Lens shader in the .mfa enables Window control object to function differently.
    --> If you find this example not working in editor mode I recommend to reinstall Ultimate fullscreen and run any Fusion update patch afterwards; after this it should also work in editor mode

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8tc1gl7q4...Sg_vdx68a?dl=0

I still would be very interested, if someone with a deeper knowledge of Fusions inner workings could try to explain why this is actually working. For me it still is the best fullscreen solution currently available for windows builds, but it somehow bugs me that it depends on some strange voodoo magic I cannot explain:P
    Any further research done on this? I'm definately going to use it to keep my games pixel-perfect no matter what aspect ratio the user has, but it's kinda weird it's done with a hack! I'm sure if it works it's fine, but as you say, there's compatability to take into consideration. Maybe Yves or Francois could shed some light?

Just tried it and noticed a terrible performance decrease, went from smooth frames to jerky! Could it be this is overriding the graphics acceleration?

EDIT: That was with Chrome running, closing Chrome improves it drastically. Is it possible there's still a performance decrease that's being missed?
    Last edited by elvisish; 3rd April 2017 at 08:06 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast