User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Creating a fullscreen, low-resolution game? (QUESTION)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Creating a fullscreen, low-resolution game? (QUESTION)

I'm creating a pixel art-based game with a VERY low resolution (370x260 to be exact) and I want to have it boot up in fullscreen. I want the game to scale up to match the monitor size while also not stretching out, and I would like to do this without anti-aliasing (again, this is a pixel art game, and I want the pixels to be as clear as possible.) In any attempt I've made to make this happen, the screen has either appeared blurry, stretched, small, or some combination of the three.

Is there a way to scale up your game for fullscreen without sacrificing pixel quality?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use Ultimate Fullscreen object .

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And pick a more sensible resolution - something with a common aspect ratio (eg. 16:9), and preferably a factor of a common resolution (eg. 720 or 1080 lines).
    eg. 480x270 is 16:9, and scales perfectly to 1080 (FHD).
    eg. 320x180 is 16:9, and scales perfectly to 720 (HD) or 1440 (QHD).

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ultimate Fullscreen object doesn't works with many exporter, like Windows 10. :\

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to clarify, Ultimate Fullscreen Object works fine in Windows 10 (with windows exporter). But I guess you mean the UWP exporter?

Anyway, have you tried these options below?

Also, remember that what you're asking is going to be literally impossible on certain screens. If your game is 260px tall, but my monitor is 1080px tall, then to display at full-screen, your pixels will need to be scaled x4.15 times. It's impossible to do that scale that perfectly without antialiasing. If my monitor were 1040px then your game would scale at x4.0, which would work great. If my monitor were 1300, then your game would scale at x5.0, which would work great. But since my monitor is 1080px tall, your game would have to scale at x4.15. Without antialiasing, it will have to add/subract whole pixels into the image every now and again, which would look screwy. Especially since your game is so tiny, so it doesn't have much pixel data to work with to begin with.

It might be better to design the game at a larger resolution, using big, crisp multi-pixel squares (so it LOOKS like pixel art, even though multiple real pixels are used per 'pixel'), and then scale down, without antialiasing. Alternatively, you might want to make the game at a moderately large resolution, and tell Fusion not to scale up at all, but to just surround any edges with black bars.

I don't know much about pixel art games though. There's probably a way to do what you want, since many games do it.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting a low res pixel art game to scale perfectly on multiple possible desktop resolutions is actually a pretty hard task. I had to face the same problem with my current game, so hereīs my solution for .exe. I don’t use other runtimes so I canīt give advice on that, but I think the basic concept is somehow adaptable.

What you want to achieve:
    X Run your game fullscreen without black bars or borders. A lot of pixel art games run using some kind of margins, but players actually expect a modern game to support their native desktop resolution.
    X Use integer only scaling to not spoil your pixel art. Some graphics setups can also produce very ugly scanline-artefacts if you use scrolling and scale a low resolution using floating point values. This may be very subtle on some setups, but itīs almost always visible.

For the method I propose you will need the following 3 objects/ extension installed:
    X Big box object: Gets the desktop resolution of the player
    X Window control object
    X Ultimate fullscreen object

Follow these steps:
    1. Start your game in windowed mode and uncheck all scaling related properties as well as anti-aliasing and donīt use “change resolution mode”. The following steps run within the first frame loop, before the renderer triggers, so the player wonīt recognize these steps at all.
    2. Big box object: One frame start get and store the desktop width and calculate + store the players aspect ratio
    3. Define a minimal frame width your game can run in, this is really important as it will define your level design. Your game has to be designed to be playable at this minimum resolution which also includes the design of all HUD elements.
    4. Run a fastloop to detect a frame width that can be scaled to the native desktop width of the player using integer only scaling, starting with your minimal possible frame with.
    Iīm sure this can also be done with an elegant math expression too, but Iīm bad at math, so I used a fastloop comparison for it.
    5. Window control object: When you calculated your “ideal” frame width, adjust your frame size using window control object and adjust the frame height using the player’s aspect ratio (you calculated that using big box!)
    6. Ultimate fullscreen object: Set your game fullscreen and choose “pixel perfect fit”. The game will now scale integer only and - as you detected and set the best possible frame size for the playerīs setup before - it will be without borders

Examples:
    My game Outbuddies has a minimal starting width of 399 px, that means the frame width will be:
    455 for a 1366 desktop, scaling by factor 3
    400 for a 1600 desktop, scaling by factor 4
    480 for a 1920 Full HD desktop, scaling by factor 4
    427 for a UHD 3840 monitor, scaling by factor 9

The Downfalls: You have to design your game to be playable well at slightly different fields of vision. Itīs important to test all levels on the lowest possible frame size. You also have to adjust all your HUD elements depending on the actual frame resolution. Working with subapps can also be a bit painful, but itīs doable.

Hope that helps, I will try to post an example .mfa in the next days

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thanks julian! I dont know about OP but I needed that info too!

The only part im not sure about is the fast loop part, how does the event for that look?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I modified step 4, itīs a lot simpler now and you donīt need to do a fastloop.
    Hereīs the complete code:

Scale up events.jpg

edit: the Var "AVN frame width" has to be set to the minimal frame width (step 3) before running these events

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I modified the code further, now it can also detect if the player changes resolution on runtime and will rescale the game to the new correct pixel perfect frame size

sorry the png somehow converts to a super smal ugly jpg when i upload it, how do I post the pic in high quality?

scale up 2.jpg

@Volnaiskra? Can you help?

Here is the original screenshot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3jzrgm9n0...p%202.PNG?dl=0

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @ Julian:
    I seem to remember you can doubleclick the image after insering it in the post,
    and then choose quality setting (thumbnail ..up to.. full)

(not sure if this work for pngs, seem to remember it didn't once, but sure it does for jpgs)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast