Need to display rich text with Active System box request

Welcome to our brand new Clickteam Community Hub! We hope you will enjoy using the new features, which we will be further expanding in the coming months.

A few features including Passport are unavailable initially whilst we monitor stability of the new platform, we hope to bring these online very soon. Small issues will crop up following the import from our old system, including some message formatting, translation accuracy and other things.

Thank you for your patience whilst we've worked on this and we look forward to more exciting community developments soon!

Clickteam.
  • Hi,
    I am wondering if it is possible to display rich text with an active system box. What I am doing is retrieving from a database using the GET object, parsing it with the STRING Parser object and displaying it in an active system box. The problem is that the active system box displays the code for the rich text instead of the rich text. I would be willing to pay for this feature, as I'd like to be able to display subscripts, superscripts and equations in active system boxes for a quiz application. Is this possible and is anyone interested in doing the job? If so, please contact me at biomanbio@gmail.com or reply to this thread. Thanks,
    Brett

• brett - There is a Rich Edit object in MMF and Fusion, perhaps it could be overlaid onto an Active System Box for your quiz or use some other system for detecting if the Rich Edit is clicked (I assume you're Active System Boxes contain the answers for your quiz?)

Kevin Ayre Please login to see this link.
    My iOS Apps: Please login to see this link., Please login to see this link. and Please login to see this link.

Edited once, last by AyreGuitar: correction of Rich Text to Rich Edit (July 30, 2016 at 4:41 PM).

• Had a quick look at trying to use Rich Edit and Active System Box, but can't seem to prevent selecting of Rich Edit, even when Active System box is in a ahigher layer with Face Colour=None. There is the Formatted Text object, which does Rich Text, but superscript and subscript don't work for me.

Another option might be to display the Rich Text using the Rich Edit object, take a grab of it with the Screen Capture object, then load it back with Active Picture so it can be used as a button (or use Active Picture and Active System Box together), but it's not ideal! Seems like there should be a way to do what you want.

Longshot but maybe the text from Get or String Parser object is losing the Rich Text? Have you checked the Get Object's properties for Response code page? Or tried taking your String Parser result and displaying it in Rich Edit to see that it works?

Good luck!

My iOS Apps: Please login to see this link., Please login to see this link. and Please login to see this link.

• Hi AyreGuitar,
    Thanks for the ideas. I am pretty sure that the active system box is the problem but I will try to check to make sure it's not the string parser or GET object. Regarding the option of using the Rich Edit object, it doesn't appear that this object is supported in HTML5. Do you see this as well? You are correct that the ASBs have the answers for the quiz (as well as the questions). Thanks for your help and if you think of any other solutions, I'd appreciate hearing about them. Have a great day,
    Brett

• brett - Shame, Rich Edit shows as Windows only in my Extension Manager (I don't have the HTML5 object). You could always use images for your answers (take snapshots of the answers in button form, possibly in a separate Windows program, then load them into Active Picture using URL) Not ideal, but best I can come up with for the moment

• brett - depending on what you need in superscript, you may be able to use built in font superscript for 2 (character code 178) or 3 (character code 179)

I've attached a small example (requires String Parser and probably Unicode)

If you can find a suitable font for equations, that might be your best bet.

Good luck!

Edit: Looks like these are all standard ASCII codes: Please login to see this link.
    Might be able to switch to unicode to get more?

• Hi AyreGuitar,
    Thanks for the example and for your help, but I'm not quite clear where the string parser is getting the strings. In my application, it is getting the text from a MySQL database and it will need to utilize what is there. My users input their own questions and answers, so it would need to be something where they could input rich text and it would come out as rich text. I have a way for them to put the rich text in, but I am not sure if the above method would work with this system for getting rich text back out on the active system box. Does it seem possible that it could? It would be helpful to see exactly what the string parser is using. How do I see this? Thanks,
    Brett

• brett - I'm only using the String Parser to get the superscript numbers from their ANSI character code. If you need it to use Rich Text, then this won't work I'm afraid. Using images seems to be the only option open to you (without writing a special extension) and used by Wikipedia: Please login to see this link.
    Good luck!

• Thanks for your help, but I'm still not sure how to implement this. Would it be difficult for someone to make an extension for rich text for the ASB? Even just getting subscript and subscript to work would be great. Maybe equations aren't doable yet. I'm not sure how the image method you mentioned would work either. Can you put an image in an Active System Box if the URL is in an online database?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!