User Tag List

Thread: Considering multiple stage frames to single frames per stage, how to use a camera?

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering multiple stage frames to single frames per stage, how to use a camera?

Hi folks! After an extremely long break, i'm starting back up my old project and im refining the code to clean things up considerably, but i was also thinking of changing my stage setup. Before, i was putting anywhere from 10-16 frames per each stage, and quickly found out later on that this was a complete nightmare when it came to debugging/adding code, having to go across a blue million frames to change just a few things here and there really sucks lol. Typically i just use the "center display at object" for the scrolling, but since i'm thinking about cutting frames down and putting whole stages in each frame, how would i go about making the camera transition? For example, lets say i have a frame at 5000x2200, how would i correctly have the camera follow each section accordingly?

For example, a large map like this put in to one frame with natural camera transitions:

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even having just one frame per stage sounds unecessarily tedoius, to be honest. Consider putting all stages in a single frame. Anything that is unique to just one stage (including the layout of the environment) can be coded up in a separate group that is activated/deactivated on demand.

I'm not sure how you want your scrolling. Do you want it to scroll screen-by-screen, or do you want the camera to smoothly follow the player? If you want it to smoothly follow the player, you'll want to look into linear interpolation (LERP), which will give you a nice smoothness. You'll also want to manually add north, east, south, and west camera bounds so that the camera doesn't insist on centering on the player even when they're right on the edge of a level.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you want the frame to act like it is "split" into chunks? How would someone progress to the next level? Do you have a screenshot of how your levels looked before?

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply Volnaiskra! Wouldn't putting all my stages in 1 frame make it beyond huge? And as for the scrolling, basically i want to be able to have the camera only follow up to a certain point until a door is reached, then have it shift slightly forward while playing the open/close animation, and once it's finished have it locked to a certain x,y position of the frame.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NicksoftTheGreat View Post
    Do you want the frame to act like it is "split" into chunks? How would someone progress to the next level? Do you have a screenshot of how your levels looked before?
    Basically, it was like the screenshot in my first post, the only difference being that i have separate frames for made for each section of the map.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's kinda hard to see from the screenshot (Partly because the forum made it tiny). It looks like it could work either in split sections or fluid camera.

I'd probably make an Active called CameraObject or something (possibly with a bonucing ball movement), and then program that to do what you want. So, have it follow the player, but not go past the door's X value. And then while the door animation playing, set the speed to, say, 20, and have it move to the new location. Then have it stop at that new location, and so on and so on. Meanwhlie, you have one line of code that says "always centre frame on CameraObject". And you can also add LERP, for smoother movement.

Having all stages in one frame will make that frame huge in the sense that it contains loads of information, but it doesn't have to be huge in the sense of X&Y space. The trick is to come up with a clever way to toggle on/off your level information. For example, you could design your stages on separate layers, and then turn off all but one layer when you load a stage. Or you could use a custom-made level editor to design the stages and save them into array files, and then at runtime, load in the stage you want by loading the file.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips man, i appreciate it! I'm actually getting some ideas playing around with this as well lol. I may just try finding my largest frame, make the "stage frame" that size, then drop my stages in triggered by groups as you mentioned or even by a stage counter, then adjust the character/enemy spawn points accordingly. To be honest, if the game doesn't slow down to a crawl i'd be all for making it all in 1 gigantic frame and manipulate the scrolling like you mentioned lol

EDIT: This actually gives me another idea, i could also try making boarders in each section of the stages, and lock the camera's position within those until the player reaches a door/new floor and transition that way as well.