User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: (WIP) 404: Past Not Found - Devlog-only page now up on GameJolt!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've added a music for the first boss of the game. Its name is Guarding Mechalo, and you can hear its theme music here: http://gamejolt.com/games/404-past-not-found/172472

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first boss is coming along rather nicely so far. I'll be uploading a video of it very, very soon. I'd just like to finish up a few graphical effects on it first

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, the video is up now!:

Next step is finishing up one last thing I have planned for this first area... I'll probably be able to release a playable demo once I'm done with that.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting battle system you have there,
    seems like a mix between Final Fantasy and Undertale
    (from what I can tell watching some videos, having not played the latter)

the dodging/shooting action thing mixed to the strategic weapon choice

cool idea!

I'm not sure if you already revealed this or if previous videos showed it clearly,
    but will encounters be random or predetermined in map?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LONG POST WARNING!

Interesting battle system you have there,
    seems like a mix between Final Fantasy and Undertale
    (from what I can tell watching some videos, having not played the latter)

the dodging/shooting action thing mixed to the strategic weapon choice

cool idea!

Have a video of the true inspiration (NOTE: The music was added in by the YouTuber. It's actually a relevant music, though, since it's the multiplayer battle theme from Mega Man Star Force 3, which I'll be touching on in a little while. Also, there is an intro which takes roughly 20 seconds, you may want to skip it since it shows games other than a relevant one):

The basic gameplay of my game has differences, however: In Mega Man Battle Network games, your attacks are basically based on a card-like system more than anything else (e.g. you "play" the "cards" to use your attacks), and every 10 or so seconds, you have the option to "draw" to refill your "hand", and then select new attacks to replace the already-spent "cards" (in-game, the attacks in question are called Battle Chips). Mind you, Mega Man Battle Network doesn't use card terms to describe those abilities, I'm just paraphrasing to try to get the point across. A more obvious difference is the 3x3 grid that Mega Man Battle Network uses. Now, why would I only use a 1x3 grid for my game? Well...

This is a (rather low-quality) video of the series which was a sequel to the Mega Man Battle Network series, since that series actually ended, one of only two Mega Man series to really properly do that (the other being Mega Man Zero, because, well... Okay, I won't spoil it). Anyways, it's hard to tell from the video, but there's only a 1x3 grid where you can move, even though there is extra space between you and your enemies to give you time to dodge. I've never actually played a Mega Man Star Force game, but since people said that the main improvement of Mega Man Star Force was streamlining things (among the people who actually LIKED the Mega Man Star Force series, that is), I figured I'd try and streamline more.

Speaking of streamlining: In 404: Past Not Found, instead of constantly pausing things to change weapons mid-battle, you instead select 4 abilities before battles (1 of each class, something I'll get into later), and once per battle, if you don't think the ability set you selected initially is suitable for the set of enemies you're fighting, you can switch out your full ability set with another set of abilities. Mind you, you'll have to unlock abilities of each class before you can use them, but you'll have 3 of the 4 ability types by the time you're through the first area, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Now, while I'm at it, allow me to introduce you to the four classes of abilities you'll be working with:

Primary weapons: These weapons tend to focus their firepower on one target.
    Secondary weapons: These weapons tend to have ways of hitting more than one target.
    Summon attacks: You can only use one of these per battle. They'll definitely be your most powerful weapons to make up for it.

And lastly:
    Defense abilities: These provide you with various helpful, somewhat more passive abilities. This includes things like a shield to reduce damage, a reflector to reflect attacks, a damage booster, etc.

Of course, I'm still working on the exact specifics, since not every class actually has a weapon yet (most notably, there aren't any defensive abilities implemented, though I do have some ideas, and there aren't any summons implemented, and I'm not 100% sure what they're going to do yet). Still, this is the general concept I plan to use for the weapon mechanics.

I'm not sure if you already revealed this or if previous videos showed it clearly, but will encounters be random or predetermined in map?
    Answer: Both. In indoor areas, encounters will be fixed. In between-town overworld areas, they'll be random. Towns will rarely (if ever) have any encounters at all, and if and when they DO have encounters, they'll be fixed.

Sorry if I made any major typos/factual errors with this post: These super-long posts sometimes worry even me in that regard.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's interesting, you've carefully planned your battle system,
    and I find particularly intriguing the "choose ability/weapon" before the battle idea.

Will be curious to see how you will implement summons - and what would "summon" mean for a robot!
    (I guess unlikely summoning a mystic creature, but maybe an air-strike or something along that line?)

The inspiration is now clear - didn't know that megaman chapter at all

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Summons obviously won't be mystical creatures and monsters and things like that, but, well... you'll just have to wait and see once I've actually implemented one of them.

Also, yeah, Mega Man Battle Network was unfortunate in that it went under the radar for most Mega Man fans, and for the few that it didn't, a lot of them chose to ignore it. However, keep in mind that it was a GBA game. The games sold rather well by Mega Man standards. Mega Man Battle Network actually caused Mega Man to reach a new height of popularity it had never seen before, and it was almost exclusively because of NEW fans rather than old ones that it did so well, as far as I know. Then Mega Man Battle Network 4 ended up being over-hyped and rather rushed, and people often didn't like it as much as past Battle Network games, some people kinda hated it, and, well...

Sigh...

I haven't played any Battle Network games beyond 1, but I'm not looking forwards to 4 to say the least... well, except for the bosses, because those look like fun. And if you couldn't tell from my choice of video, I have more than a passing interest in Battle Network 6.

Anyways, I just didn't want you to get the inspiration mixed up, even if this game deviates much farther from its inspiration than most of my games which are still of the same genre as their inspiration (War for Robovania doesn't count, because that's a real-time strategy game. Based on Mega Man. Somehow. There's an odd story behind that one, but that's for another day. ).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided that, to keep up the updates, the best thing to have as the next update would be this out-of-context graphical effect:

Gfycat version: https://gfycat.com/SpicyAccomplishedHagfish

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added a new music to the soundtrack. It's the overworld theme. Give it a listen!:

http://gamejolt.com/games/404-past-not-found/172472

Also, the game has been going on a bit of a development hiatus due to other projects. Normal development will hopefully resume shortly, though no guarantees.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first demo release is coming soon! I just need to do some last-minute play-testing to make sure everything is working as intended, then I'll probably be releasing it... which likely means a release date of today.

Stay tuned!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast