User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: (WIP) 404: Past Not Found - Devlog-only page now up on GameJolt!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Seriously, who needs graphics better than that? "

I do! I lived through that era once already. I don't need to live through it again

I spent the 80s and 90s loving graphics like that because they were the most impressive things I'd ever seen. So it's only in that same spirit that I now look upon them as quaint, and reach for newer heights.

If you told me in 1990 that people in the future had access to greatly improved graphics yet willingly chose to stay with decades old stuff, I simply wouldn't have believed that such craziness was possible .

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Volnaiskra

Hahaha! Good point.

To be fair, anti-aliasing and 3D effects aside, 2D graphics have only gotten so much better since then. Sure, they have gotten better, and quite they've gotten a bit better at that! However, the overall feel of 2D graphics has only changed so much. Playstation 2D compared to SNES 2D (including SNES expansion chips, mind you)? Not that huge of a jump.

And keep in mind the word I used was "need" rather than "want". Modern graphics are most certainly better than old ones, but 16-bit/32-bit graphics are technically as good as they needed to get for gameplay purposes 99% of the time (including making sure the aesthetics don't get in the way of anything, BTW).

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just discovered an odd bug with the reflector unlocking a bit early under certain circumstances.

Another thing to fix in the next version, I guess...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well one thing's for certain, and that's that many beautiful experiences can, and could, be had in an illustrated 2D form. Games started to look horrendous around the late 90s when they all started adopting 3D, and it took them 10-15 years to look nice again. And even today, there's still a cartoony magic that can't be had in 3D, yet there are far fewer 2D games than there used to be, which I think is a great shame.

I agree that a lot of those 16bit games were beautiful, as are many modern day homages to those styles. Maybe one of the reasons I'm immune to the nostalgia bug that's going around is because I'm a bit older than that, and many of the games that I used to play and love (Atari 2600, commodore 64, PC EGA) genuinely look horrible today. I still cherish their memories, but when I look at something like this today (from my absolute favourite game at the time), there are no two ways about it. It's awful.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since it has been a while since I've posted here, I figured that now would be a good time to explain the concept that I currently have for Summon category attacks.

Summon attacks are super attacks that can only be used once per battle. Even if you switch summons, you cannot use more than 1 per battle. No summon attacks have actually been implemented, but I have come up with one non-spoilery idea for a summon. To better give you an idea on what early-game summons will probably look like, the idea in question is a turret summon, which fires at enemies for you. Since it appears on the column in front of you, it can be used as a sort of makeshift shield as well. It lasts until it takes too much damage. It cannot be used if any enemy occupies the column in front of the player.

I know it's not much info, but hey, I figured I'd give you guys something, since it has been a while since I last gave you guys an update.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and on another note, I also improved a few of the graphics (click to enlarge):

Graphical improvifying.png

Yeah, if the game wasn't breaking the 256-color palette enough before, then it's breaking it enough now (the player character follows the palette, but the background doesn't).

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much respect for your will to do your research and dig into the old games. Too many, in any field, just go ahead without looking up what shaped the culture they are in.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, I just happen to play old games in my spare time a lot, and look up tons of info on old games in it as well. There are a lot of gaming gems hidden there that most people don't even know about, some of which even used to be popular. Good examples of that include Pulseman, which was never particularly popular, Jazz Jackrabbit. which was popular back in the day but has seemingly faded into relative obscurity, and Tyrian 2000, which was an odd case: I'm guessing Tyrian 1.0-2.1, were rather popular back in the day, being published by Epic MegaGames, but Tyrian 2000,/ a.k.a. Tyrian 3.0, was actually published by a different company, and as a result was likely less popular... and after double-checking, I apparently got the version numbers exactly right.

Huh.

Anyways, it's a good hobby to have as a game developer, I'll definitely admit. I even bought a PS2 just to be able to play some now-kinda-old games that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to play, most notably including a few Mega Man games that my siblings now have copies of, including the ever-elusive PS2 version of Mega Man X8 (the PC version goes for far less ridiculous prices due to greatly lower demand, though both versions supposedly have very few copies floating around), which my siblings only have because it would appear that one of my siblings loves rare/expensive game collecting (of course I play it every now and then too, even though I personally am not a huge fan of it).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here are some more grahpical improvements:

Crates.png

This time, the crates received some minor improvements. (Click on the image to zoom in a bit.)

What do you think? Does it look better than before? I may work on the shading on the top a bit more, it looks a bit odd as of now for some reason...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah maybe the shadow should be on the bottom? (light being cast from top-back of crates)

I'm not sure, I think it depends on the general art direction you want to take
    if you're going for a pixelated look, those are too smooth,
    if you're aiming for a glossy look, they look better

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast