User Tag List

Thread: A little help with string object and dialogue system.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little help with string object and dialogue system.

Hey guys,

Feels like I'm back to basics lately, awesome!
    Anyways, I noticed String object can properly wrap these days, when did this happen?

So, I'm using "Left$(string$( "dialogue_temp" ), Len(string$( "dialogue" )) + 1)" in order to feed one letter at a time.
    It works, but in some situations is starts typing the word, and once the word is typed it moves it to another line when I hope it could type to the other line straight away.

For example:
    "Hello, this is template text, how is it going?"

Appears like this:
    "Hello, this is template text, how
    is it going?"

But before it looks like this:
    "Hello, this is template text how is
    is it going?"

(I typed "is" twice there to show what I mean!)

So basically it writes the word, in this case "is" to first line, and only moves it to the new line after the word is written. Needless to say it looks a bit dump.

Anyway, is there a way around with the String object? I load dialogues from ini file, and later on translations, so the system should be automated.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: I was thinking I could look for space after certain amount of characters and add newline$ there, could work, not sure.
    However, I'm thinking if in certain languages spaces are used differently, then it could break with translations, any idea?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Jesse!

Since you use a string object, I guess you will be embedding a specific font with your project?

Wonder if you are using a fixed length font...
    this could make things easier, knowing how much space each character takes,
    you could calculate when to put a newline and prevent wrapping

Otherwise, this may be a little bit trickier to setup but theorically more flexible:

1) trim the string object height to minimum (one line) at start

2) after each full word (every blank space you meet) do the following things:

- set a value to current Oheight of the string object
    - add the next whole word (with a loop, char by char until you meet another blank space, or with a string tokenizer, splitting at " " and picking next element)
    - test if the current OHeight of the string object is > than the stored Oheight
    - if so, remove the word you just added and add a newline
    - if not, keep the word you just added

should theorically work...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have the right idea. I made a quick example where one string is copied letter-by-letter from a source. If a space (" ") is encountered, it assumes a new word will follow and retrieves the number of letters in this word. If it exceeds the allowed line length, it will insert a line break.

File: exampleStringFunctions.mfa

It's very basic, and doesn't acount for "-" between words nor line-breaks when retrieving the word length. Can be added with too much effort I guess.

If you want full control of strings, line lengths and stuff like that, it's probably better to build your own text system using actives. That way you can easily determine the total length of a line by retrieving the total width of all the actives in a line. If you use the String object, you'd have to store the size of every letter in a font in a database somewhere. Of course, you can always use monospace fonts, where are letters are the same size.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should've mentioned I'm indeed using fixed length font, this will make things easier.

Thanks for the replies, I'll play around with the ideas and will check your example Chrille, I'll let you guys know if I can make it work or encounter any problems.

Thanks again!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Chrille, I played around with your example, took me a good amount of time to figure how on earth you're doing it. I haven't used string functions too much in the past.
    Anyway, I think I finally figured out. I was able to re-create the system in my project and it seems to work perfectly fine with quick testing.

That said, thanks! And thanks to schrodinger as well!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad it worked out

I just had a look at my example again and it was probably a bad idea to modify the source string. Not that it matters in my example, but it might make it less applicable to a different setup.