User Tag List

Thread: Why there is not pathfinding for all platforms ?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why there is not pathfinding for all platforms ?

Greetings

I'm wonder why clickteam don't add a pathfinding multiplatform . As I know All of 2D game engines have this important plugin ( Construct 2 , Game maker , Godot , ... )
    I'm appreciate to Schrodinger for make pathdfinding grid base with bouncing ball with many updates but unfortunately it's not perfect for a point and click adventure games yet.

It's really important option for a 2D game engine.And it's base for any game engine. Please add it.
    Any suggestion....

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export Module

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah i would love for automatic pathfinding like in AGS. That would make life a lot easier :-D

That pathfinding extension is too complicated for me and there have been numerous threads regarding pathfinding so obviously a lot of clickers find it difficult as well.

something built in would be awesome! That's number 1 on my wishlist :-D

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Pathfinding object is complicated for me too and it's for PC only and not good option for mobile business.
    I remember Anders write a great pathfinding . Is it for Fusion 3 ? If it's ready and cross platform please put it in clickstore . I'm sure you find many customer for it.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that there probably should be a multi-platform pathfinding extension, but I disagree with a lot of your other comments.

Firstly, it's a myth that pathfinding has to be complicated - a breadth-first search (Dijkstra's algorithm) is actually very, very simple and easy to implement in MMF2 (much simpler than other essential point and click adventure features, such as inventory and dialogue systems), and it's suitable for many games.

The A* algorithm is what all those other game engines (and the other MMF2 extensions) will use, and it's much more efficient in many cases. The only real difference is that it uses a sorted (based on distance to the target) list of nodes to explore, rather than an unsorted list.
    If Clickteam would just add a "sort" function to the array object (which I'm sure would be far easier for them to do than creating a new pathfinding extension), A* would also be very easy to implement.

The other thing is that there are a lot of different ways to handle pathfinding, and encouraging everyone to just use "the" pathfinding extension isn't necessarily a good idea. A* is great for single objects moving in large maps, but if you were to have a relatively small map and a horde of zombies all chasing the player, it would be hopelessly inefficient compared to some other algorithms (eg. Dijkstra's). The same would apply if you had two large armies in a real-time strategy game.

eg. http://www.redblobgames.com/pathfind...roduction.html

As with everything else, "rolling your own" also gives you far more flexibility and control, and using a pathfinding extension can be a bit like using a built-in movement. There are potentially going to be cases where an extension is just too limiting - maybe you want teleporting between spaces; maybe you want units that move in unusual ways, like a knight in chess; maybe you want pathfinding on a 3D map with stairs etc - no extension could ever handle every scenario.
    Also, take a look at how pathfinding (using Dijkstra's algorithm) can be integrated into monster AI in a roguelike: http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?...aps_Visualized

So yeah, a pathfinding extension would be good, but people should get used to doing it themselves anyway, because it's nowhere near as hard as they think it is, and it has its benefits - and adding sort functions to the array object should be a much higher priority.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5+ DLC
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sort function for array would be beautiful.

Personal hopes for array: sort, splice with support for negative index wrap, copy/paste elements with x1, x2, y1, y2.

All could be done with a convoluted fastloop system, but rather expensively and far too complicated for the average user.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree. The less we need to rely on extra 3rd party extensions the better. More functionality to the core objects that gives us more freedom is something I always preferred.

Did you send a feedback request for the Array Sort function by any chance MuddyMole? I'd upvote that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ MuddyMole

Thanks for intro and links . Your suggestions was great but I'm a simple fusion user not professional coding . If I was pro in programming actually I choose another engine for my games . So I expect from Clickteam add major base 2D features and Pathfinding is one of them. Extension or movement is not problem for me .Like Physics movements that added to F2.5