User Tag List

Thread: Reasons GET Object is blocked/stalls/doesn't work?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reasons GET Object is blocked/stalls/doesn't work?

I have a simple GET request that retrieves data from my website. "On get complete" triggers various events based on the return result. I know this works most of the time but some machines just don't seem to get along with it. The GET request never connects out and then my program won't work. What are some reasons this can happen?

I've also noticed the cache is sometimes not cleared when GETting the same URL multiple times, even when the return result should be different (as is different when tested in Chrome).

I think these are two separate issues, both crippling my program. Any advice is appreciated.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5+ DLC
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What immediately comes to mind is a firewall blocking the outgoing request from the .exe. Check firewall permissions; CF runtime might need to be added to the list of exemptions. If any of your testers are unfortunate enough to be running an "antivirus" such as Norton or McAfee that could also be causing some problems.

Can't help much with the second issue.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if there is a way to test that is happening and have my program report it...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First issue: You can try using the Ping/Pong object to ping the website and get the IP address of the site. If the IP comes back then you know the app can get through the firewall or antivirus.

Additionally you can also set up some type of trouble shooting switch that, when used, opens a dialog box with a simple edit box and put what is returned by the Get object in to that edit box to see if anything comes back at all (assuming you have not checked that). (for example program.exe /Ptest) Those who are having issues can create a shortcut and add the /Ptest command line switch to the shortcut to open the window. That is done in the properties of the shortcut in the Target box so it would look like this "C:\folder\folder\program.exe" /Ptest with the switch outside the quotes.
    Here is a sample of using the command line switch so you can see what I mean.
    Attachment 20920

As for the second issue: You may be able to utilize a random number in the url as part of a query string like this... website.com/file.aspx?rn=random_number_goes_here. This way the URL is actually different each time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reasons GET Object is blocked/stalls/doesn't work?

This is all very useful info, both of you. Lots to think about here as far as things to include to bypass these issues when they come up. I get sent into a frantic mess when it happens, and it's happened more than once with this same issue.