User Tag List

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: OUTBUDDIES - a 16bit style metroidvania (with alpha demo!)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you don't know that superbacker, keep in mind that pledges can be withdrawn. Keep a close eye on the pledges in the final hours, if you're less than 1000 over your goal.

I'm not saying there's any reason to expect him to withdraw. But if he does get cold feet at the last second, it could screw you.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the withdrawing of backings is a really weird thing on KS, I talked with my superbacker about this concern and he said he never did it, however I'll have to keep an eye on this for sure. Threre are other people in with higher pledges as well who I also don't know. I contacted about 60 youtubers in advance, at the moment there are four new videos about the game, two from youtubers I contacted and the other ones just took the demo.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrote an update on the game's development and our campaign on Indie DB.

Also, I┤m fiddling around with resources friendly pixel shaders for the water effects. The particles are in fact one animated object and the hue shift is done by a simple substract shader that removes red tones.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fiddling around with a colour depth shader from the complex shader pack to improve ambient occlusion and scene contrast. Which one do you like better? Top = original, Bottom = colour reduction shader applied

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still think you have to work on your character's colors. Right now it is easy to lose track of it due to the environment sharing identical colors.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I agree with that. I've also had the same thought. In my opinion the main culprit is the heavy use of black in the character, both in external outlines and internal outline. It makes him blend in with the background a lot, and sometimes even makes him feel like a group of unconnected shapes. Removing those outlines or replacing them with a lighter should give him much more solidity. Giving him some more unique color splashes would help too, though I guess that depends on how strict you are with your retro palette I suppose (though if you're using shaders, then you're obviously not averse to bending the 'rules' a bit).

I can't see significant difference between the top and bottom ones, but that's probably because I'm looking on a phone

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on a PC now, so I can see your comparison image properly. I prefer the top one. It's much easier for me to explain why visually. Though it's likely that different monitors play a part here. I know from my experience with Spryke that making graphics for deep underwater/cave environments is a really tricky juggling act, since dark colors seem to vary drastically between monitors. The same graphics can on one monitor look semi-dark and moody, overlit and washed out on another, and so dark you can't see them properly on a third.

For example, the outline color of your diver looked pitch black to me (ie. exactly the same as the water) until I zoomed in on him in Photoshop. I wonder if on your monitor he looks significantly lighter than on mine.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll probably have to integrate the shader option in the next build and see if people like it or not. The main character of the game was pixeled with another technique. Normally, I do shapes for every body part first, animate, then add shading and detail. Due to John being extremely tiny (20*32) I was not able to work with connected shapes to do the body parts. I basically had to work with his shadow, and then suggest arms, chest and legs by setting disconnected light shapes. The details in the sprite highly depend on putting strongly saturated color on these light shapes, so making the armor saturated too would destroy these glowing parts. However, you're clearly right with the visibility problem. One thing I'll try is to add a sort of circle interface around John suggesting a shilding created by Buddy and emphasizing the connection between both characters.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Volnaiskra, I was writing while you posted. very interesting, now it's clear to me that even if I should like it, I should not force the player on this colour reduction mode!

edit: Cool idea with the extra highlights on John! I'll fiddle around with it! I had setups in the past too making the shadow parts lighter than pitch black, but somehow I visually did not like it, the player often looked very dispaced in the environments, ... but of course, more visible

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw, Outbuddies has a real press kit now. The dropbox version is still there, but I somehow felt subpar and confusing to use. Should have done this way earlier: Outbuddies Press Kit.

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast