Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: OUTBUDDIES - a 16bit style metroidvania (with alpha demo!)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Haven't made much progress lately as my daytime job is always ramping up a lot during the summer months. Anyway, managed to implement a new miniboss - the big Nautilus, which is trapping you in a flooded cave. It's releasing deadly spawn and you've to use the underwater strafing mechanic to beat it. It's also pretty durable so having some missiles in stock is a must have for this thing

Last edited by Julian82; 7th September 2017 at 09:57 PM.

Felt like recording some up-to-date footage of the game, I'll use this for some local indie game competitions this year. I think I'm finally quite happy with the FX and shader stuff, don't know how many iterations this took There will however be a retro mode without any light FX for pixel purists (and lower end setups).

https://youtu.be/6krrTfLJCuw

... somehow the youtube player is not showing up, but maybe my laptop...

Hey Guys,

just wanted to drop a quick update on the game. I had decided to enlarge and redo the game's main sprite. The old one worked but it was kind of too small (32px) compared to the enemies (48 px) and tile size (32px). The new one is 45px and the game just feels so much better with it. Also, I was able to give him more detail, he got a face, a moustache and some glowing armor parts that reflect your health status. The new sprite is already completed and implemented but the enlargement literally broke a lot of the room layouts. Now working on a new demo build that reflects the game's present status. The old one is pretty outdated by now. Here's a first screenshot.

Last edited by Julian82; 17th November 2017 at 09:34 PM.

digging the bigger sprite. but i've always been biased towards bigger sprites, sumtimes i make them too big in my games

but its definitely looking cooler

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)
    Good job. He definitely looks better now. Not just more detailed, but now the black outlines look more like outlines and less like negative space, which make him feel fuller and more substantive.

I like that you see his facial features now, though I'm not sure about his moustache at the moment. The Dali-esque swirl makes him look a bit villainy. Also, even though there are dark pixels near the bottom of his face, to me he looks like he has no beard, which doesn't match the pic in the corner.

Looking forward to playing the new demo

It's mario!

actually, now that u mention it ...

fits right in

that said, i saw the new picture on the kickstarter page & i luv it! wat a crazy kooky awesome style!

Thanks for the comments guys! Yeah, the more badass look is actually intended, Wario is one of my favourite characters of video gaming history and now my protagonist somehow looks like Wario in a space suit
    @Vol: You're right, I'll have to redo the corner image! Originally I had outlined the main character rather soft, like an insecure scientist suddenly trapped in another world. Now I'll more likely go for a seasoned adventurer looking for gold and glory. He'll not get what he was looking for though^^
    @Shin: Thanks a lot! Glad the new cover art resonates. I could not afford to work with a concept artist anymore and went for a style I could handle myself. It's rather cartoony now and inspired by the "Adventure Time" series. As I've a release window for the game in Q3 next year it's now very important to get this stuff right and nail down a consitent visual presentation.

I'll also need a new name for the character, any ideas? I had Alfred Butterbean and Woodrow Mouser (reflecting the moustache). Think he will probably be British but Spanish would also fit cuz of the Mayan mythology theme in the game and the Spanish conquest of South America in the 16th century.
    Last edited by Julian82; 18th November 2017 at 10:16 AM.

how cud i forget to include wario on the list

Quote Originally Posted by Julian82 View Post
    I could not afford to work with a concept artist anymore.
    wen the kickstarter budget just doesnt cover it

i actually think your style looks 500 times better!

the other one was a bit awkward, but this one has a LOT of character to it & has a real sense of fun & adventure! i can imagine some crazy indiana jones temple traps madness, & him hoppin around like a mad leprechaun /ballerina trying to avoid them lol. i actually wish the whole game was in this style, iuts giving me sum inspiration myself. maybe if u ever do a sequel u can do it in a more crazy style like this

I'll also need a new name for the character, any ideas?
    can't think of anything of the top of my head, but maybe u cud try a 3 part name with a letter like.. alfred von mouser, or sedrick t. woodrow, charles t. edison, isaac butterbean

maybe combinations of famous scientist names, like pick & mix name swaps

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 LastLast