User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Custom Smooth Screen Scrolling Effect Topdown

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Custom Smooth Screen Scrolling Effect Topdown

I've created a system where ScreenPositionMain object is where the screen is centered. This object follows the player to make it so when the player moves the camera doesn't suddenly move the same speed as the player.
    This ScreenObject's speed depends on the distance between the player and the object.
    The problem is that when this object follows the player it is not smooth and the object is going back and forth between a pixel or two while following. This problem is fixed when I increase the speed of the player, but I can't do that for gameplay purposes.

If anyone has any ideas for how to make this work nice and smooth I would greatly appreciate it!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it moving back and forth a pixel or two because it keeps trying to center on the main player? Try to compare to a range of values that are +/- 5 pixels off from the player so when it gets close enough it doesn't spaz out. Then you can snap it to the player when it gets close.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried that before, and it looks worse because it just keeps snapping back. I have just discovered though that I can set the X and Y Scrolling positions and this works very smoothly. I have it set here so the frame position is mainly centered on the player, but also looks a bit in the direction of where your mouse is. Similar to the game RUNNING WITH RIFLES.

CENTER X of SCROLLING ON:
    X( "Player" ) + ( XMouse - X( "Player" ) ) * 0.1
    CENTER Y of SCROLLING ON:
    Y( "Player" ) + ( YMouse - Y( "Player" ) ) * 0.1

BUT, I still would like to add the feature of the frame smoothly and more slowly moving and not quickly toward wherever the mouse is.
    Do you have any ideas how to incorporate that into the formula?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made this example a few years ago: https://community.clickteam.com/threads/93446-Midpoint-Camera-Between-Player-and-Cursor-Example

Maybe tweak this a bit to your needs? When I looked up the game Running with Rifles, it reminded me of this example I made.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumo View Post
    I made this example a few years ago: https://community.clickteam.com/threads/93446-Midpoint-Camera-Between-Player-and-Cursor-Example

Maybe tweak this a bit to your needs? When I looked up the game Running with Rifles, it reminded me of this example I made.
    Yeah, I was able to make mine scrolling work like that, but the extra feature I would like would be a smooth effect, where the screen doesn't adjust so quickly to where the mouse or player is.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5+ DLC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    couple rules:

-always ALWAYS put your camera events below your movement events
    -don't try using floats in the "center x" or "center y". put your expressions in alterable values, then have center x and center y focus on those, using Round()

Using the x axis as an example:
    Put X( "Player" ) + ( XMouse - X( "Player" ) ) * 0.1 in an alterable value, called something like "x scroll"

then

always
    ---> center x on Round(x scroll)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by casleziro View Post
    couple rules:

-always ALWAYS put your camera events below your movement events
    -don't try using floats in the "center x" or "center y". put your expressions in alterable values, then have center x and center y focus on those, using Round()

Using the x axis as an example:
    Put X( "Player" ) + ( XMouse - X( "Player" ) ) * 0.1 in an alterable value, called something like "x scroll"

then

always
    ---> center x on Round(x scroll)
    I added that and it made it very slightly more smooth, which helps. Appreciate it.

Still looking for a way to make the camera move toward/follow the position it's supposed to be on so it doesn't quickly go to its position depending on the mouse.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Shadeve I edited my previous example to include a 360 movement object that follows the previous camera spot, so it slowly transitions over to the new camera location smoothly. You can edit the camera speed and camera distance threshold alterable values in the cyan camera object.

Let me know how you want me to edit it further to fit your needs. Thanks.
    Attached files Attached files

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not use the easing object?

Like so

CameraEasing.mfa

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you notice though, in both of your examples the main character/where the camera centers bounces left and right or up and down when the camera is moving and trying to catch up with the player object.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast