User Tag List

Thread: Mid string from an alterable string?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mid string from an alterable string?

Sorry, since I likely ask something, that has already been answered elsewhere, but I did not find such an answer yet.

In short, I have active objects. I have made them hostile by setting alterable string A as "hostile_(x)" to do this. I have changed the string to "hostile_devour", "hostile_leech" and so on in order to create objects with more specialized attacks.

However, since there are situations where I'd like to address all hostiles at once, is Left$ a way to get all object with "hostile"- status to do something, like choosing a direction or dying all at once?

(And since I'm still learning to be better with Fusion 2.5, be gentle with better ideas of how to make the hostile thing happen altogether. )

EDIT: I think I might have some other uses for mid alterable string in the future, so I'm asking this not just to get the current project finished but to possibly use the same method again later on...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to single out objects, or address them rather, you have to compare their alterable values/strings directly, and not using Compare two general values... So Mid & Left won't work in this case unfortunately. You could use two alterable strings to specify the type. Like:

alterable String A = "hostile"
    alterable String B = "devour"

etc.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for letting me know. Damn... This means I have some editing to do. It will be a task to do but still easier than to add all hostile types to any event involving hostiles. I hope I will not run out of alterable strings, if I end up needing more of them...

Are there a list or some tutorial as to how many things you can not do with alterable strings of objects? I presume that they have more limitations in comparison to string objects than only the situation I asked about? Or are there so many limitations that it's easier to tell what CAN they do in stead of what they CAN'T do?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If this is a "binary" kind of job (you need to tell object which are hostile and which are not)
    you could think of using a flag for that:

flag 0 ON >>> hostile, all will do stuff
    flag 0 OFF >>> not hostile, all don't do stuff

then you can use your string to detail your hostile-types if those are more than two
    (since you want to save them for other uses, being limited in number)

additional note:
    you could use left$(string) in a foreach loop
    but it would be worse performing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the answer. I will likely do that to save me some trouble. I could also try left$ if I really need it and make sure the loop is not constantly running.

It was somewhat silly to first use alterable string to set different hostile-states and THEN realize that I have a reason to address all hostiles at the same time. I had seen some bits and pieces of tutorials with strings and didn't realize to think that alterable strings of objects would run into such obstacles. Well, learning the hard way helps to remember.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your best bet by far, is to use two alterable values.

hostile - 0:false, 1:true
    attackType - 0:none, 1:leech, 2:devour...
    (make sure you include a comment listing what each value corresponds to)

Alterable strings are best saved for when you actually need them, since you don't get many.
    Flags are usually best avoided (unless you're running out of alterable values), since they are numbered rather than named, which makes code harder to read. Again, if you do use a flag, make sure you include a comment in situ describing what it does, as well as a comment listing all the flags used in the frame, so you don't lose track.

And yes, it is worth going back and re-writing your code, rather than trying to bodge it using loops or anything like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the latest answer. Those tips seem really useful.