User Tag List

Thread: windows 10 says "this app has been blocked for your protection"

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

windows 10 says "this app has been blocked for your protection"

Sent my .exe to a friend so he could try it and windows 10 is blocking it from running. Which im assuming is some sort of security feature for downloaded files?
    The weird thing is that it's only he that gets the block, but that's only in my friend circle which means others out there will have the same issue. does anyone know how to fix my .exe so it doesnt get blocked?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your exe is downloaded from the internet, your friend may have settings on, the only way I can think you can fix it is getting them to either run the application as administrator (right click and click on run as admin) or (this next one might not work) I sometimes have to right click, go to properties and there will be a setting, most likely saying "This app my have been blocked as it was downloaded from the internet" there should be a setting saying "Unblock".

I hope I helped,

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Repaler, i was thinking general how to get around this? I mean the app will in the end be downloaded from the internet for everyone and it would be lame if a certain percentage got the blocked message. Is it something with the .exe fusion created or do i have to do something to it before i get someone to download?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a standard message for all .exe files that aren't very popular - or aren't very popular yet.

It is better to have your game in a zip file then one can unzip it and run a virus scan on it and that indicates to your computer that the file is safe.

Once enough people download the file it will become "trusted".

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually did that, it's a Zip file with 5 array files. Still same error. I was thinking maybe you have to sign the exe somehow?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,
    there are two factors determining if warning messages from windows or virus scanners pop up:
    1. Your app is not signed
    2. Your app is not downloaded often (seems to be a problem especially for windows 10, have not experienced it on Win 7 or Win 8)

In case of virus scanners and warning messages on Win 7+8 it helps a lot to get yourself a code signing certificate, but this has to be bought from a distributor like Commodo or Verisign (abour 100 bucks for one year). Also getting this certificate first time is very tricky: I had to go through a process called “face to face validation” with a local attorney, which was very expensive (about 400 bucks) and I had to offer a lot of private and business information to Commodo. Getting a code signing certificate is useful for protecting your IP and building trust among customers, but it´s not useful if you do gamedev as a hobby.

The bad thing: Even if your .exe is signed there is no guarantee that you won´t get message type 2 from windows 10. I checked back with Commodo about this and they told me I would have to “build a reputation as a software developer with Microsoft” first. In general this means: You have to get a certain number of downloads first, and hopefully no reports that your software is harmful.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Julian!

That sure sounds like a headache. It's something i have to look into when i have a full game. How is it if you put the game on e.g. steam? does it get auto signed then?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would most likely be auto-signed by Steam for Steam, I'm not too sure though but I can only think that steam runs the app through the Steam Overlay, which is trusted by Windows

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very True, thank you for the info